My Root Experience

Last Updated:

1. Seddy

Seddy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I see alot of 'Experience' threads and figure... Why not? And plus I think this would be a great way to get feedback and keep a log at the same time. So lets get started...

I rooted my Moment with the Radioactive FroYo ROM v1.8.5 last night and I can already tell the difference... the noticeable 'Sprint' apps being gone, the wifi hotspot app, and the fact that I was able to keep it off the charger for 3 hours and still have a full charge (according to the meter at the top right).

I slipped up and plugged the phone into the USB without thinking and it ofcourse started charging, so I had to start all over... The phone said 'Fully Charged' about an hour or so ago, I just checked Menu>>Settings>>About Phone>>Battery Use and it says its been unplugged for 1 hour and 52 minutes, and it still has a full bar. I just downloaded Spare Parts, since i've heard quite a bit of buzz about it around the forum, and i'm about to tinker around with it in a bit.

I did have a data lockup approx. 10 minutes after rooting was complete (while I was in the process of redownloading apps) but a simple restart took care of that. I must say that i've never been able to keep a full battery bar for over an hour so i'm definitely satisfied. Things seem to run a bit quicker and Launcher Pro makes it even better. I want to take this time to thank everyone involved in putting this rom together. GREAT job! You have inspired me to look deeper into Rom creating and one day create my own. :)

Advertisement
  2. Seddy

**UPDATE**

I found a nice working app for taking screenshots and saved a few.

[​IMG]
    Heres my homescreen. I actually have 5 but this is the main one. I call it the control deck. LOL

[​IMG]
    I read somewhere that the 2 bars should be close together and I see that they're not, which means theres a runaway app somewhere, but oh well, its still better than stock.

[​IMG]
    After being unplugged for 3 hours and 32 minutes, playing music, downloading apps, browsing the web and updating my fb status, its still looking good. Thats never happened before.

[​IMG]
    Went to bed around 5 this morning, and woke up and still had power, which is definitely a plus, but as you can see it was time to plug it back in. 10 hours and 46 minutes... I was in a state of shock!

Its almost 5 now and the battery was fully charged about 30 minutes ago so, using mental math, i'll say it takes a little over 6 hours to charge. Not bad, especially if it gives me over 10 hours of juice.

I also added a custom boot screen, but i'm interested in learning how to make my own as well, so i'll do some searching in a little bit, but overall, i'm happy with the outcome. I would suggest rooting to all my Moment customers that call with battery complaints, but I might end up in the unemployment line so i'll just point them in the direction of this forum and i'm sure they'll figure it out.

3. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Did you use shootme? Shootme only takes blank screenshots for some reason on mine...running Radioactive FroYo 1.8.22...

4. Seddy

Shootme wouldn't work for some reason. I tried shaking the hell out of my phone and it took nothing, and I was not about to be screaming at my phone just to take a screenshot. I used 'drocap2' and it works pretty well. :)

KyLeZKooL12 and AndroidSPCS like this.
  5. livelyppop

livelyppop Active Member

A little off topic here Seddy, but are you from Shreveport? I'm from Texarkana, but now in Lacey, Wa.
    I'm new to this also, I've tried two or three different roms and each have their good and bad points. Myself, I like the more simple ones that get rid of all the Sprint apps and just adds a few nice things. I tried one and it had a bunch of things added that I had no idea what to do with them.
    I like the idea of the m900 tether but can't figure out how it works.

6. Seddy

Im from Atlanta Georgia but I moved to Shreveport 2 years ago. The best Rom for the Moment IMO is the Radioactive FroYo. The m900 tether was confusing to me at first but you actually have to tap on the antenna inside the app to activate the wifi. You'll then see the wifi symbol at the top of the screen. Im not sure but I think Menu>>settings allows you to change the SSID and the passphrase etc. Right now i'm at work so I really cant check to make sure but once I get home i'll post a reply with the correct instructions.

7. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Yes the m900 tether is so simple to use. What's so hard to figure out about it?? I didn't even have to read the manual or instructions LOL.

8. livelyppop

livelyppop Active Member

I just haven't tried to check it out but once and that was quick. I'll check it later. I don't really use a tether that often anyway, just sounds neat to have it. :)