My Screen is LooseGeneral

Last Updated:

1. EchoBravo

EchoBravo Member This Topic's Starter

I baby my phone. It's been in a protective case since the first week. And I don't let my kid play with it. Still, I have a wobbly hinge. The screen seems to be separating from the rest of the phone's chassis.

I didn't get insurance on this G1. Am I S.O.L.?

I don't want a used RAZR for an 8-week repair and I certainly don't want to hear that I'm gonna have to live with it.

T-Mo is closed for the holiday today. Any idea what I might face when I step in tomorrow to present my case?

Advertisement
  2. jerryG1

jerryG1 Member

Hey, don't worry about it. All of the phones are like that. I know exactly what you mean. For example, when you have the phone in portrait mode (with the keyboard hidden under the screen) you can press down on the lower-right part of the screen (not the actual screen, but the frame) it will "click". I am possitive that all of the phones do this now because my G1 does it, my brother's G1 does it, and now, yours apparently does it too. Trust me, if you go to T-Mobile and mention that, they will tell you the same thing.

3. EchoBravo

I had to fight for it a little, but a replacement is on the way to me via UPS. When it arrives, I just have to send my current one back. I'm very satisfied with this outcome.

At first, the service clerk told me "they all do that," but I told her my wife's doesn't and my coworker's doesn't, nor do the ones on display at the store. She disappeared into the back room for a bit, then came out and said they'd do a warranty swap.

No complaints here.

4. Filament

Filament Member

Mine had a creaky screen too. T-Mobile replaced it 4 days ago, and my new one is already creaking again. According to the literature on it, "this issue affects only a small number of first run G1s". Yeah well if that's true, why do they all seem to do it? I want one that doesn't creak, but if they replace this phone with another G1 that one will just creak too. Great. :(

5. EchoBravo

I'm typing this from my replacement G1. It creaks a bit, but I can live with that. The screen is a tight, perfect fit to the phone's chassis. It's looseness and that feeling the whole thing would come apart in my hand that I hated.

6. Zeruel

Zeruel Active Member

I have a first run G1 (received it a day early from the pre-order) and have not had this issue yet. The phone gets constant use but all the parts are as solid as the day I got it and no creak yet.

I wonder if there's some common thing that users getting the creak are doing that is somehow causing it rather than a defect in the phone itself?