• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My setup to increasing DHD battery life

mbolzicco

Lurker
Mar 3, 2011
I will try to keep this relatively short as others have posted similar messages. First, I use these widgets/toggle switches on the screen to the left of my home (they are always off unless I need the service)

1. Standard mobile settings widget (settings, mobile data, wifi, auto sync, roaming)
2. Bluetooth toggle
3. Auto keyboard rotate toggle
4. 2G-3G toggle --> this is actually a shortcut to mobile network settings, then click network mode, and select GSM only (2g) instead of GSM (2g)/WCDMA (3g) auto. Dropping your phone to 2g will save you boat loads of power!
5. Brightness widget (usually keep brightness at around 20-25% and 0% at night)
6. GPS toggle
7. Airplane mode toggle
8. Downloaded app - green power (automatically turns wifi / data on off with screen)
9. ATK advanced task killer, set to auto, hyper, in settings so it kills all apps not being used

Those are all very useful, and dedicating one screen to widgets and toggles is a very quick way to activate the services you need, only when you need them to save a ton of power. After you have all those, lets look at some other settings.

- Disable all vibrations on key strokes, they suck battery power.

- Display: Low brightness is big, see above note. Also screen timeout (30 seconds, if you really wanna Nazi it go 15). Also on this screen you have auto-rotate screen. I leave this disabled, and use the toggle to activate. Keeping this always activated will use more battery.

- Accounts & Sync: Background data is checked, auto-sync is not (toggle switch). Google, HTC Sense, News, Stocks, Weather are all set to manual. You can change any of these depending on your needs, of course.

- Location: Use wireless networks ON, Use GPS satellites OFF, Phone finder ON, Intergrate Google Navi ON.

- Power Saver: Disabled. (may seem counter-intuitive, but everything it does were doing already just from 100% battery life not 30%).

- Some where in the settings you can also disable on screen animations, thats a good one too for saving battery.

- I keep a dark background with no moving parts, I dont know how much this helps with this type of screen but hey what the hell.

- Disable sounds for unlocking phone.

Cheers guys,

Matt

Good tips..but from personal experience I have removed Advanced Task Killer and have noticed an improvement in battery life - Just my experience.

Are you sure you had a good ATK then?

Be sure that the ATK also kills itself, and that it's programmed to ignore vital system functions that Android would just restart. Also the ATK should not be a "program monitor". Basically all the ATK should do is kill apps in the RAM.

A good one is the "Advanced Task Killer Free" by ReChild :)

Upvote 0
Are you sure you had a good ATK then?

Be sure that the ATK also kills itself, and that it's programmed to ignore vital system functions that Android would just restart. Also the ATK should not be a "program monitor". Basically all the ATK should do is kill apps in the RAM.

A good one is the "Advanced Task Killer Free" by ReChild :)

I had the rechild killer.
As I said my experience is that battery life has improved since removing it.
Without getting into a discussion about the validity of these task killing apps, I did a bit of research and there is a ground swell of opinion that they are a waste of time.

Reactions: Tiago82
Upvote 0
Good tips..but from personal experience I have removed Advanced Task Killer and have noticed an improvement in battery life - Just my experience.

I dont know if I agree to that. I was not using ATK before and saw my phone was slow and a battery whore.
After reading a lot about it, I decided to give it a try.
Now my phone is crisp, fast and a battery camel.
Its been unplugged for almost a day and an hour with 35% battery still remaining.

Upvote 0

Hey.

I've read this to and have done the same.
From memory it was said that it takes more battery power to restart the apps killed using ATK than what they use staying partially open in the background.

The best thing I did was factory reset my phone, this helped my battery last longer between charges.

Ian

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones