• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
This has become a big issue! I have the same problem but what I have noticed is that when it sits idle the signal is worst than ever but when I actually go to use it it goes to full signal if possible. I was in a room deep in a building and had one bar at the table but when I opened the browser it popped to 4 until I closed it and then back to one so I think it is a new power saver built into the 2.1 maybe???????

Upvote 0
Could be a power saving issue, could be 2.1 reporting the wrong bars.

Make sure you look at your real signal under settings, about phone, status.

Bars are really a ballpark (if even that) estimate of the signal. The actual dBm is the value that matters. I've seen 4 bars with -80dBm (by all means a good signal), but also 2 or 3 bars with -60dBm, which is a great signal.

So the lesson is, don't rely on bars to convey signal. Check the actual number.

Reactions: catdax
Upvote 0

Bars are really a ballpark (if even that) estimate of the signal. The actual dBm is the value that matters. I've seen 4 bars with -80dBm (by all means a good signal), but also 2 or 3 bars with -60dBm, which is a great signal.

The number you see in the setting is not 3g it is 1x only! So since 1x is always better you get that and to prove it is 2x only turn your phone to 3g only and that number goes to -120 no signal status with full 3g bars! I also just looked and on my pillow I have on bar and then opened the browser and bam 4!

Upvote 0

Thanks for explaining, I didnt know if higher or lower was better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones