My SituationGeneral

Last Updated:

1. chris61292

chris61292 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My family has a family plan and the main phone which is my mothers has been due for a NE2 for a few months now because i wanted to get the incredible. I got a env touch over the summer and we would like to get me the Incredible and then give her my env touch. Can this be done? The only problem i could see with ordering the phone online as her upgrade would be the data plan, how do we get the data plan onto my # and not hers?

Advertisement
  2. dblack9

dblack9 Well-Known Member

your best bet would be to go into a store or talk to a csr and tell them you want to transfer the ne2 to your line.

or you could just order it, and activiate on your line and activate your env on your nana's line.
    during activation, it'll prompt you to remove data charges from one line to the other.

3. Sailingmaster

Sailingmaster Well-Known Member

The phone requires the data plan, so when you use her upgrade to purchase the device, all you have to do is use *228 to accept terms & conditions (i.e. the 2 year contract) then choose Option 2 to activate later. Then you can activate the ESN/MEID of the phone on your line, the data plan gets added to your line, then you can give your mother your Env Touch.

Warning: The rep may not be able to take the non-smartphone dataplan off your mom's line when you move the Env Touch to her line, because it will get added automatically. Yes, the phone was activated before the dataplan requirement date for the env touch, but VZW recently updated the policy for the grandfathered devices, and I can't remember exactly what the new policy is for a grandfathered device when moved to a different line. Sorry!

4. chris61292

Well that really sucks, we dont really need a data plan on shitty env touch

5. Stealth Droid

Stealth Droid Member

Hi there! I'm new!

I have a similar situation. I upgraded to the Samsung Rogue from a very basic flip phone in September. Now I want the HTC Droid Incredible. My brother has an upgrade that he doesn't want to use. I am going to ask Verizon if I can use his upgrade to purchase the Incredible for $199.99 (after rebate). I already pay $9.99 for a 25 MB data plan and now I will pay $20 more for an unlimited one.

I have another question... is it possible to pay for our bill partially online and partially by check. We are on a family plan and my dad pays for the bill by check. He will freak out if the bill gets over $200 (there's 5 of us) so, I want to pay the $30 for the data package each month online. So it's like he pays for our family's bill and I pay for my data plan. You think that'll work?

6. mikeydingo

mikeydingo Well-Known Member

Wow i was laughing the whole time i was reading..im in the same EXACT situation. So my aut works for verizon and she said you can share upgrades with anyone on the plan. So me and you will give our env touch to our mom and enjoy the incredible :) but what i am going to do is .im going to verizon cmollaining bout my phone now so i get a new one and my mom gets a brand new env touch.

7. chris61292

You wont get a brand new env touch, you will get a refurbished one, if u get a brand new one ur contract starts all over again. At least thats what happened to my mom's phone when we had issues with the battery and went through like 5 refurbished phones, they just gave her a new one and reset contract

8. Sailingmaster

I'll check at work tomorrow and post what I find out here.

9. chris61292

Please do, ty

10. ag04

ag04 Member

Okay, here's how this works, I've talked with SEVERAL stores, agents, managers, BBWireless, etc etc. Upgrades are fully transferable within your plans. They are only concerned that you are sure to use them, so you stay with Verizon for another two years. I have a Tour, my mom has a Hue, I've checked with 4-5 different sources and it is 100% possible to simply take her upgrade. She doesn't even necessarily have to take your phone either, she can keep her current phone. Just do yourself a favor and do it in store, or at a Best Buy Wireless, it will take out any oh-so-common errors in billing out of the picture (or at least reduce them).

hope this helps!

Ag04

11. Sailingmaster

You should be fine to remove the dataplan once you've moved the Env Touch to your mother's line.

12. Aookay

Aookay Well-Known Member

Go into your local Best Buy Mobile. They can do something called an Alternate Upgrade, where they take the availible upgrade and apply it to your line. sounds like it fits your situation perfectly :) No need to switch plans around or anything.

13. dt_

dt_ Well-Known Member

Can this be done at a standard Best Buy store if it has a cell phone section? I bought my enV 3 there last year relatively hassle-free... it isn't a "Best Buy Mobile" store but rather a full fledged BB. Thanks :)