My SMS replies appear before received messages in thread.

Last Updated:

1. JeDesiré

JeDesiré Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, all.

Has anyone had this happen to them: not always, but very often, if I quickly reply to a text message, my reply jumps up a place in the thread and appears before the last message, i.e. like this:

(instead of)
    Sender: Where are you?
    Me: I'm at work.

(it appears as)
    Me: I'm at work.
    Sender: Where are you?

I've noticed it almost exclusively happens if I reply within the same minute on the clock. If I receive a text at 10:50 and reply at 10:51, it doesn't happen. But if I promptly replied while time was still 10:50 almost certainly my message will jump up the thread and not be the last.

Advertisement
  2. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Lots of people experience it, there have been other threads on it. I don't know of any solution other than delaying your response!

3. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

Yep, i get this. There was talk of a SMS time fix app. I tried this, but it lagged the SMS application. So just make do with a delayed response or ignore it.

Not sure if this happens in handcent or chomp.

4. JeDesiré

JeDesiré Member This Topic's Starter

Many thanks to both of you for your replies. I've been following this forum pretty much every day since I got my handset in April and hadn't seen anyone mention it. So I wondered if it was just me. It's not a problem, but can sometimes be annoying to me.

5. .ParanoidAndroid.

.ParanoidAndroid. Well-Known Member

To fix it I simply changed the time on my phone to a minute ahead, it seems to be to do with the sender's network's time, and the time on your phone
    Setting your phone a minute ahead fixes it

The only thing is if the person you're conversing with replies instantly, the opposite effect is had, as in their repsonse appears before the reply you just sent
    But that's far more rare I've found

DesireMe likes this.
  6. kumar3234

kumar3234 Well-Known Member

In the time settings, do the manual setting of your local time rather than the automatic one i.e you have to disable that automatic time setting..

Go to settings, go to date and time, set date and time to manual and select your zone. If the time is wrong set it up again. Check the date as well,the am pm factor too.
    its a matter of time stamping. If even this doesn't help then set your time 3 mins back the standard time.

7. Saint2710

Saint2710 Well-Known Member

Yes it happens in Handcent too.

8. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

Automatic time was already unchecked on mine. I manually set the time forward by 2 mins (which matched my PC anyway) and now immediate responses come after the previous text, as it should be. Cool! :)

9. .ParanoidAndroid.

.ParanoidAndroid. Well-Known Member

yw!