• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Sprint upgrade is in December. Currently have HTC Hero... is EVO the only choice here?

andyacecandy

Dec 7, 2009
So, I'm eligible for upgrade in December and just been thinking about what phone to jump to.

Haven't had any problems with my Hero... and I know the EVO is a pretty solid device.

I know the HTC Knight is coming out soon... but I believe the EVO is still the better phone?

Any recommendations here? Should I wait and see what else is coming out? Or is EVO gonna be my best bet for a while?

There has been a lot of news lately about new, bigger and better devices coming out just before the holidays and early next year. If you can be patient, perhaps a wait is the way to go for now.

Having said that, the phones you mention are quite nice, especially the Evo 4G, in my opinion.

Good luck with your choice.

I put your question in the Android Lounge for you; the News area is more for discussion of breaking news about Android.

Upvote 0
I've had the Evo (bought used) for about 5 weeks now, and it's a great device. Come December, the Evo will be over 6 months old which is 175 in human years. While it's remarkable for an Android phone to stay relevant for this long considering that a new model comes out every 3 seconds or so 175 is 175. Personally, I wouldn't waste an upgrade on that old of a device. Unfortunately (for you), I don't think Sprint will have anything major to replace the Evo untill the new year. They seem pretty content to stick with the Epic as their go to premium phone for the holiday season. If it were me, unless I was having major problems with my Hero, loved the Epic or found an exceptional deal on the Evo (under $100/free?) I'd wait.

Upvote 0
I've had the Evo since day one and wouldn't hesitate to buy one even now. It's an awesome device and with the way the development community keeps up with it I think it could easily be solid for a couple more years. I normally switch phones every year, but this the first device I've felt like would last longer than a year for me.

Upvote 0
I just upgraded from the Hero to the Evo earlier this month. Granted, I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I think the Evo is pretty good. I hated the Hero, and I almost didn't get the Evo just because I had such spite for HTC for making the crap Hero. If you get a swipe-style software keyboard for the Evo it just flies.

Upvote 0
I actually haven't had too many issues with my Hero (knock on wood)

and my mindset was similar to the other poster talking about how the EVO is 6 months old now and I'd basically be upgrading to an older device.... granted, the best device out there at the moment.

So, I'm thinking be patient and see what's in store in January?

I'll be keeping my eyes open for any breaking news though for the holidays.

Upvote 0
Couldn't hurt you to wait until after CES in January to see what's coming. As always with tech, something new is around the corner, but if by then there's nothing mind blowing you could always go for the EVO. The Knight details I've seen on engadget and such say it will have a smaller screen and a slide out qwerty, so it's not really the same style as the Evo.

Upvote 0
The HTC Knight is supposedly the HTC EVO Shift 4G that was "patented" a few weeks ago. Supposedly it has an added slide-out keyboard with a smaller (but possibly AMOLED) screen and some other features. I would prefer the EVO over that. Frankly there aren;t even rumors of much else and I talked myself into the EVo (before we found out that we will get a better plan from VZW through business plans). Anyway, if you want to play it safe, wait until January, but I don't expect anything mind-blowing personally (based on my research over the last couple of weeks).

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat you're in, and I think I'm just going to grab an EVO. Even if a new phone is announced in January that wipes the floor, probably have to wait another few months for it to hit store shelves. Also have to wait an additional month or two after that if you're the type to wait for reviews, and want to know if there are any major bugs that need ironed out. That's around 6 months from now theoretically, and I don't think I will last that much longer on my old Blackberry Pearl. :eek:

Upvote 0
If you want an HTC devices and a device running FroYo right away, get the EVO. If you can wait a little while for the FroYo updates, I'd recommend the EPIC. It's superior in every way save UI and the OS version (which will be updated shortly).

What about in screen size and GPS performance?

These are the two features most important to me and right now those look towards the evo. And don't talk about software fixes for the evo. They work about as well as they did for the moment (not at all). It's a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
What about in screen size and GPS performance?

These are the two features most important to me and right now those look towards the evo. And don't talk about software fixes for the evo. They work about as well as they did for the moment (not at all). It's a hardware issue.

The GPS bug was fixed on the EPIC. The screen size is 4 inches while the EVO's is 4.3 inches. That's not a huge difference. Remember that the EPIC's display is Super AMOLED.

If you use Mobile Hotspot, the EPIC tethers to 5 devices at a time while the EVO can do 8 at a time.

Upvote 0
Of course then you get into the AMOLED vs LCD argument, with people like me preferring LCD because the pentile matrix scheme and oversaturation of colors on AMOLED drives me nuts. Not to mention I hate the thickness from the keyboard, plus moving parts on phones just add more things to break. This is why you couldn't convince me that the Epic is superior in every way, it's just your opinion. I'd go for the Evo.

Upvote 0
Between now and Christmas hopefully we'll find out more about the Nexus S (release date and if it will come to sprint or not) and about the Evo Shift 4G. So it looks like the lineup for the next few months for decent Android phones will be:

• Evo
  • Epic 4G
  • Optimus S
  • Evo Shift 4G (only rumors so far)
  • Nexus S (if sprint decides to carry it, BIG "if")
Am I missing any rumored devices?

Upvote 0
Not likely to see anything that hasn't been announced yet. It would be a complete lost marketing opportunity that would kill sales launch.

Sprint cannot afford and should not by practice continue with a large line of phones. It makes no sense to do this as a value provider because those subsidies take away from the bottom line especially if they don't sell out at "full" subsidized price with contracts.

I expect Sprint to have a reduced lineup going forward with the bulk of the phones being in the mid-level range where subsidies aren't needed or as large yet still lead to new contracts. I expect a reduction in low-end phones as their are many no-contract providers changing this space, and Sprint's subsidiaries are already major players here. I expect a few more high-end phones, but I don't expect that until phone makers start producing Wimax + LTE phones for Sprint and VZW. Sprint and VZW will need to be compatible even with LTE going forward.

The big loser will be AT&T, and Sprint only needs to have a similarly competitive lineup of phones to get some defectors.

Unlike others, I also think there's an outside chance of Sprint getting iPhone in '12 because VZW with iPhone using 3G will sell even more if Sprint has a similarly (roaming-compatible) version.

Upvote 0
The GPS bug was fixed on the EPIC. The screen size is 4 inches while the EVO's is 4.3 inches. That's not a huge difference. Remember that the EPIC's display is Super AMOLED.

If you use Mobile Hotspot, the EPIC tethers to 5 devices at a time while the EVO can do 8 at a time.

No it hasn't been. If you're reading on the epic forums you'll see people are still having issues with it even after the various "fixes" have been applied. I went through the same thing with the Moment and it seems like it's just samsung hardward to blame. Even after you have tweaked it and fixed it and I'm betting even applied froyo it still is going to be weak compared to the htc chips. That's always been a sore spot for me with the moment and one that I'm not prepared to deal with for another contract term.

Screen size is arguable. I think the moment is 3.5 and looking at the 4" on the epic is a huge difference in my eyes. I've seen an evo side by side with an epic and agree it isn't as huge as the difference with the moment but it's still big enough to make a difference. I'm in navionics a lot and I think it would help to see the chart numbers a little better. As for size in my hand I'm pretty huge with big fingers so it might make a difference with the on screen keyboard too.

Tethering isn't a huge deal for me as I'll probably root it anyway and use a free tether program and never attach mroe than one device anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I've always been a huge samsung fan and the epic is a great phone. I just think it might not be the perfect phone for me and my needs. Like I said, I just need to try them side by side for a month and make up my mind then.

Upvote 0
Buy based on what's avilable today, not tomorrow. Or you'll never buy and keep waiting on rumors.

I used my November upgrade on an LG Optimus that was great, and I sold it on eBay for a $200 profit. That $200 profit will go towards a new phone whenever one comes out that tickles my fancy.

Upgrade = money. Waiting = losing money. Your choice.

Upvote 0
I've had the evo since launch day and love it and would get it right now if I didnt have it yet. Another option if you aren't necessarily looking for something that big or the top of the line and would be the equivalent to the Hero for a new phone is the optimus s which can be had for free with an upgrade. Have one on one of my lines and it's a very impressive phone as far as speed and build for being a "lower end" phone (and runs froyo out of the box). It is what I would get if the EVO wasn't an option.

Upvote 0
I like phones and like to switch over to the newer, shinier ones as they come out. But I've had the Evo for several months (and actually changed carriers for it) and can't imagine what would ever lure me away from it. I've had other HTC smart phones and none of them could ever be a phone and a computer - until Evo.

There is nothing I don't like about it. Although I've seen others on the forum who have chosen against it, I just can't imagine how that happens. I also really like Sprint for their service and pricing.

It's going to be a while before a new phone can surpass the Evo. I do not consider the Shift an improvement, but an alternative for those who want a hard keyboard and smaller screen. Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones