My strange and crazy Droid X experience...Support

Last Updated:

1. cassnate6259

cassnate6259 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I bought the Droid X on the day it was released and was overall very pleased with it for several months, although I was experiencing some nagging issues. Even while running LauncherPro, the phone was pretty consistently laggy and the battery would usually drain completely in a day. I also ran into a strange issue where it would load text messages very slowly.

Eventually, one day, I was playing around with widgets when the phone suddenly froze up. I tried restarting, removing the battery, etc. and I was always left stuck on the "eye" startup screen. It never got past it.
    "Crap." I thought to myself. So, I did a hard reset and rebooted the phone.

Since resetting the phone, I have been using it for several weeks and it is like a whole new phone: It runs smooth as silk with LauncherPro, and the battery generally lasts at least several days. Apps launch really quickly and the texting problems are gone!

So I guess my question is: What the heck happened? Did I install some app earlier that may have caused the slowness? As far as I know, I'm using the same apps.

In any case, I've never seen the phone perform like it has in the last couple of weeks and I guess I owe it all to the hard reset. Anything like this happened to anyone else, or does anyone know what might be going on?

Whatever the case... I'm very happy!

Advertisement
  2. protocollie

protocollie Active Member

Chances are good it could have been apps you had installed. Even when apps aren't running, they're capable of scheduling services to launch at startup that perform maintenance tasks in the background, listen for events and do processing that needs to be done continuously (for example, checking for podcasts or RSS items even when the main app is closed.) If one of these was poorly written it could definitely lead to poor performance; if you had several poorly-written services running it could theoretically wreak havoc.

There's other things to consider as well - around the time you first get a device you tend to spend a lot of time dicking with features and settings, changing and reorganizing things - when you do a hard reset, you set everything back to default settings. It's possible you had things configured such that it impacted your battery life negatively.

It's a pretty common experience that a factory reset speeds things up and increases battery life.

3. Roxors

Roxors Well-Known Member

Thats pretty much spot on, also when you do a hard boot it will empty out some caches, you could manually do this when you go in to manage your applications. i go in there weekly to make sure i don't have some stupid app that has a large cache built up

4. t0adman

t0adman Well-Known Member

How exactly do you do that?

5. mikepic

mikepic Well-Known Member

Did you go from a live wallpaper to a simple wallpaper?

I experienced a pretty noticable difference in performance when I removed the Live Wallpaper.

I sure do miss them though :(

6. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I despise Live Wallpaper. It makes the phone really sluggish. Great to show off to friends though!

7. mikeydooodie

mikeydooodie Well-Known Member

been experiencing this today ... laggy phone, texts loading slowly and twice today the phone reset itself ... when i open task killer theres all these apps i didnt even open(directly after a battery pull) running. phone is starting to slow up now .. wonder why :confused:

8. northernmoris

northernmoris Well-Known Member

You almost had me believing your story until I read that part.... Don't get me wrong I can make a days worth with some decent use, since Froyo and everything else its been 10x better.... but day's would mean just looking at it and unlocking it once in awhile.

9. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

yeah... "been pleased with it for 'several' months"? and, battery lasting several days? not buyin it. phone hasnt been out for 2 months, much less "several" and there is no way the battery lasts several days unless it just isnt being used much (which i still wouldnt believe, unless it isnt activated).

10. Roxors

Roxors Well-Known Member

press your far left key (menu button)
    settings
    scroll down to applications
    manage applications
    find your app that you want to clear the cache on
    click on clear cache,

Pretty much this does the same thing as clearing your cookies on your browser