My Super Easy Root method (like there isnt enough!)

Last Updated:

1. kenyu73

kenyu73 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ensure computer speakers are ON and begin the LOOP process. Honestly, the LOOP is only for visuals that you have a connection...

** shut phone down first **

1) pop out SDcard, but leave in slot
    2) Volume Down + Power
    3) Volume Down, select recovery, press power (be ready for next step!!)
    4) Once you hear the "device removed" windows sound, quicky press your sdcard in! You'll hear another "device found" sound a few seconds after.

It may take a few tries, it's really odd timing. I've got about 3:5 chance when I try!

That's it! Follow the 10min infamous video for the rest.

This is basically how the "quickly insert/remove" sdcard process worked after many attempts... its a matter of catching the recovery in-between some special initialization.

*** TIPS ***
    * try right as your hear the beep-beep
    * try right at the last beep of the beeps ?!?
    * try right before the recovery black screen .5 sec after the beeps

Advertisement
    omgitswes, tudmf, MegaVortex and 12 others like this.
  2. lmbgm

lmbgm Well-Known Member

That is what I also discovered. I tried the quickly insert/remove method, but the PNY card I got seemed to be too thick, to quickly remove. so I tried just inserting after selecting recovery and it worked.

3. sylent101

sylent101 Well-Known Member

man i love you right now no homo thumbs up i just got it after 5 days

4. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Well-Known Member

didnt work for me

5. ximfinity

ximfinity Well-Known Member

nothing has worked for me.. i have diff brand cards, 3x 1 gb unlabeled, 2x2 gb class 6 sandisk, 2x 4gb class 4, 1x 8 gb class 6 pqi; none of them have worked with any methods.

6. kenyu73

its really about timing and how fast your computer is I bet... that's why some have better success then others. On my laptop, if it insert the card right at the "beep-beep" device sound, it might not work.. so I slam it in right at the end of the sound and I can get it prob 75% of the time. Sometimes 4-5 times in a row.. other times, it takes me a few tries...

ximfinity likes this.
  7. jfoey22

jfoey22 Well-Known Member

+1... this worked for me. I got FINALLY after 5 days of trying!

8. kenyu73

Its not the cards.... I had a 2gb and 8gb sandisk and both have the same pass/fail rate.

ximfinity likes this.
  9. ximfinity

im doing long fat format (sd reader), long fat32 (sd reader), then into phone-> boot, turn off, root method above?

10. kenyu73

My 2gb is FAT my 8GB is FAT32. I'm currently successfully getting it with the 8GB FAT32 card.

I still dont think the format matters much at this point, its a matter of catching the initialization routine when the card it inserted.

Keep trying... I HAD no success at any method but this, and my timing is getting better... I can get it almost every time now.

..listen for the double beeps (windows), then slam that SDcard puppy in before the black recovery screeen pops up (which I think is the "too late" mark.

ximfinity likes this.
  11. sylent101

sylent101 Well-Known Member

i repeated it twice so far its definately about timing. i just went ahead and uninstalled htc sync and used the pda.net drivers

12. kenyu73

I dont have HTC Sync install either.. I cant remember how I got the adb drivers, but I may have installed it, then uninstalled the Sync App and left the drivers... <shrug>

ximfinity likes this.
  13. ximfinity

still no dice.. tried all sorts of different timings.. I'm using the modified ini drivers... maybe pdanet drivers are better?

14. kenyu73

Can you do "adb shell" when the phone is fully booted? Can you mount your phone ok and access the sdcard and stuff? Just curious if its a problems outside this little trick... (=

If you cant do those, then you cant do the recovery.

ximfinity likes this.
  15. ximfinity

I can get $ and do adb reboot if thats what you mean.

16. kenyu73

Unless you have the worlds fastest computer, I can bet if you keep playing with these steps you can have it tonight! If you have a fast computer, you may have to put the card in like RIGHT AT or BEFORE the first beeps.. maybe press it in when you think the windows device beeps starts. Its really about timing and only a 1-2 second window.

17. kenyu73

.. and really, its a matter of putting the card in between hitting the power for [recovery] and right around the first beeps prior to the block recovery screen. Not much to it but getting lucky (=

18. ximfinity

thanks, I'm going to keep trying with the 2gb. and I'm reformatting the 1gb now.. giving up for tonight after about 15 mins though.. Thanks again for the help.

19. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

For the past two days I have thought, "I must be a complete imbecile..." This method worked on the 5th try using the 2gb card that came with the phone. Thanks a lot.

20. cdd543

cdd543 Well-Known Member

Worked for me after reading a post on xda that talked about the timing of inserting the card and trying it at every time after hitting recovery(start with 0 and move to 10 seconds). Mine worked after 2 seconds so long before the computer beeps. I had tried so many times prior based on the "beeps".
    Credit to dreamersipaq over there.

21. DonDraper

DonDraper Well-Known Member

It worked on the first try for me (inserting the card as soon as I heard the sound) with this method, using a 4gb Adata "turbo" class6 formatted Fat32/1024. Tried a few more times after the reboot and it wouldn't work - but I think the timing is very important.

22. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

yep timing is important... after 5 tries tonight it worked and ive tried many times other nights... i am now a believer

23. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

question:
    right after step 2, at the point were it detects the phone is plugged in, what does your device look like in Device Mananger?

thanks

24. syn

syn New Member

This is what finally got root for me after a couple days of trying different pc's and cards. After trying about a dozen times i switched from a class 2 to a class 4 card and it worked on the second or third attempt. Thanks for the insight!

25. nyngbld

nyngbld Well-Known Member

fingers crossed... why didnt i check the posts again last night!!! now i have to wait all day through work :cool: