• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My switch from Moment to Hero

Yeah, because sending a text msg then having your battery in a constant drain status is sooo much better. Couldn't even send a stock text msg without creating a 100% awake status. That's much better. I'm an apologist for neither phone, but don't start mentioning bugs like the Hero was perfect out of the box. Your first paragraph wasn't worth quoting. Pure personal preference which is great. For the guy before, lack of flash or lack of whatever again is preference. To put one phone down over someone's personal preference. Like I could care less about the camera. It's something in a pinch. I have real cameras if I need something that needs to be beyond adequate. at I certainly wouldn't be able to stand not having an accurate battery meter out of the

Upvote 0
hey now, I didn't say the Moment was a bad phone, nor was I bashing it (at least, that was not my intent). I was simply stating MY issues with the phone. I also didn't say the Hero was perfect out of the box. Every electronic device is likely to have some small issues from the factory, it's the nature of the beast, and that's what updates are for. And yes, I do have an idea what I'm saying in my post, as I've messed with my Mom's Moment just about as much as I have my Hero (other than rooting, flashing ROM's, etc--Mom wouldn't want me doing that to her phone lol). For me, if a phone doesn't work the way it's supposed to stock, and the known issues haven't been updated in a timely fashion, it's not for me.

As for the stock text problem on the Hero, it was fixed in a timely fashion. Fairly small bug compared to a worthless battery meter in my opinion.

Upvote 0
hey now, I didn't say the Moment was a bad phone, nor was I bashing it (at least, that was not my intent). I was simply stating MY issues with the phone. I also didn't say the Hero was perfect out of the box. Every electronic device is likely to have some small issues from the factory, it's the nature of the beast, and that's what updates are for. And yes, I do have an idea what I'm saying in my post, as I've messed with my Mom's Moment just about as much as I have my Hero (other than rooting, flashing ROM's, etc--Mom wouldn't want me doing that to her phone lol). For me, if a phone doesn't work the way it's supposed to stock, and the known issues haven't been updated in a timely fashion, it's not for me.

As for the stock text problem on the Hero, it was fixed in a timely fashion. Fairly small bug compared to a worthless battery meter in my opinion.
What do you consider a "timely fashion".. considering the hero has been out a month longer then the moment and they just recently got that OTA fix... doesn't seem like it was that "fast".. and the stock text problem EFFECTED THE PHONE.. the battery meter IS ASTETIC.. once again.. unless you actually know what you are talking about, bugger off

Upvote 0
The purpose of this thread is not to feature bash either phone. There is a generic hero vs moment thread. The constructive posts are the ones from people who have owned both and returned one to use the other. The posts saying "I'd never buy X because it doesn't have Y" and the defensive posts that follow are worthless. There actually are plenty of those types of threads out there.

Upvote 0
The purpose of this thread is not to feature bash either phone. There is a generic hero vs moment thread. The constructive posts are the ones from people who have owned both and returned one to use the other. The posts saying "I'd never buy X because it doesn't have Y" and the defensive posts that follow are worthless. There actually are plenty of those types of threads out there.
Yo momma :D

Upvote 0
Momma jokes would surely be the downfall of this thread. Especially ones about yours. She's such an. Easy targetm I'm not saying she's fat, but... alright. Just kidding. We could start a mamma jokes thread in the lounge. Heard our US mama jokes have migrated to the UK. There was a big story about it, and the teachers were having a hard time keeping a straight face.

Upvote 0
I have to lighten things up around here. I posted something over on the Hero forum about liking the Hero better than the Moment and someone replied that I better not let numus hear me say that. Numus, you are well known throughout these forums :)
You can like whatever you want... that is personal preference.. but when the idiots try to say the hero is faster/better in hardware then the moment that just makes me laugh like crazy (granted i just flashed with cl14 and screwed my phone again.. so doing a data flush and going to attempt that again.. stupid flush is taking forever)

Anyway.. so ya... both "major" glitches on the moment (battery meter and wireless location) have been fixed...

Upvote 0
You know, I think some people (including myself) just spout off sometimes. I think it's kind of funny that everyone gets so worked up about these two phones. Both of them are freaking awesome phones in my opinion. Start comparing them to the Blackberry, or iPhone, or some other non-Android phone. Android is just sweet, no matter if it's on the Moment or Hero.

Upvote 0
they have? Samsung officially released the MR? Or is it just the kernel update that neither my XP or Win7 64 machines don't like along with many others in the same boat. It ain't fixed till it's widely available for everyone.
Anyway.. so ya... both "major" glitches on the moment (battery meter and wireless location) have been fixed...

hey num...if you're going to put someone in their place, which your post does and beat me to it, get the spelling right... :D aesthetic and affected. the one is a completely different word.

an inaccurate meter compared to the phone's battery getting drained when you send a text message unless you power cycle the phone or install 3rd party software. How they are the same is beyond me.

Upvote 0
they have? Samsung officially released the MR? Or is it just the kernel update that neither my XP or Win7 64 machines don't like along with many others in the same boat. It ain't fixed till it's widely available for everyone.

hey num...if you're going to put someone in their place, which your post does and beat me to it, get the spelling right... :D aesthetic and affected. the one is a completely different word.

an inaccurate meter compared to the phone's battery getting drained when you send a text message unless you power cycle the phone or install 3rd party software. How they are the same is beyond me.
Ya ya ya.. Cl14 is "techincally" a MR release, that just bricked your phone if you attempted to force install it.. But zefie fixed the broken path that led to a brick and it turns out they have a good majority of the fixes implemented in the OS. They also have a new kernel that none of us have been brave enough to attempt (they didn't send the opensource information for the CL14 kernel so we don't know if they official fixed the battery meter or used the CJ05 kernel code).. I might brave the kernel tonight and see how it works...

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the comparisons, I came to this thread specifically because I'm wavering between the Moment and Hero. I'm a former long-time Palm user and am currently using (sigh) a Samsung Exclaim, I miss alot of the smartphone features but was unimpressed with Pre hardware.

I'm leaning towards the moment because I absolutely love having a physical keyboard and I find comparisons by people that have actually used both the Hero and Moment very informative and helpful.

Upvote 0
are you referring to the fanboy comments on both sides or the actual constructive posts comparing features people like about one over the other?
No matter what phone you get there you are. You can take this thread and change the name to Palm or windows its all the same. If you have a Hero keep it an leave this Moment to itself. Its so childish don

Upvote 0
I bought my wife the Hero yesterday and went through setting it up for her. She didn't want the physical keyboard. This was the first time I had messed with the Hero. Here are my thoughts:

IMO:

I really liked the weight and feel of the Hero compared to the Moment. The out-of-the-box experience on the Hero is very nice since it comes pre-loaded with Sense. For her, that is great...for me, I would probably replace it with something else in the long run anyway. I really liked how Facebook was built into the phone. She uses that a lot, so to go into contacts and load up her Facebook friends is a real plus. I noticed the phone had Google Voice search already, and her voice dialing worked immediately unlike my Moment where I have to wait about 30-45 seconds when I first open up Nuance. The GPS on the Hero is amazing! My Moment even after the update puts me within about a half mile of where we are at, her Hero put us in our house. The Hero had no lag problems at all that I noticed. There were places that the Hero seemed snappier than my Moment.

What I did not like is how small the virtual keys were. It was really hard for us to type on it. She said that she will get used to it...I hope so. I compared the screens side by side, and whoever says the Hero screen is better is full of sh.. The Moment screen is so vivid compared to the Hero. Just go to the Market and look at the green stars. On her phone I had to look real close to see what things were rated since the green color of the stars were washed out. It is definitely not like that on the Moment. My wife said that she liked the feel of my Moment a little better than her Hero because it felt like it had more substance to it.

So between the two, I can honestly say that I would be happy with either one, but the Hero seems to suit her best, where the Moment suits me best. If the GPS is very important to you, then as of right now it is above and beyond that of the Moment (unless I have a bad phone).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones