My theory on the faceplate...General

Last Updated:

1. MisterG694

MisterG694 Active Member

Look, I don't hate the backplate as much as some of you others, but the plastic doesnt seem to fit the sleek fit of the rest of the phone. But like others have suggested, this might just be the beta form of the final. Do you think it will change? Do you care?

2. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member

i dont mind the red at all. i wouldn't mind my phone sticking out from all the other plain black phones. additional colored backplates would be pretty sweet, though, and would attract a wider range of customers.
  3. clb

clb Well-Known Member

It might change, I really don't care either way. I've been waiting forever for a phone like this, I'd get it no matter what the back looks like.
  4. MisterG694

MisterG694 Active Member

ya same to me whats more important is 2.1 android w/ sense you on VZW. I don't mind the color, but to me it just seems that the back is plastic, which I find bizarre on ANY phone these days, especially one of this tier. I can see them releasing different colored faceplates though, a good idea for custimization. Jw, you guys think that hole at the bottom is a optical trackball or mic?
  5. clb

clb Well-Known Member

I think it's an optical mouse at the bottom.
  6. alewifebp

alewifebp Well-Known Member

I hope it changes, and I agree that it just doesn't fit right. But seriously, I HOPE it changes, or that thing is going to live in a holster. Still love the specs on it. I'm quite stoked.
  7. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member

maybe VZW wanted it red and black because it's VZW colors? their new flagship phone?
  8. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

I like the way the speaker grill is aimed toward the top of the phone. It may increase speaker volume and make speaker phone calls louder by not having a speaker flat on the back of the phone. I always have to cup my hand behind the phone to reflect the sound back to the front.
  9. Reginald VelJohnson

Reginald VelJohnson Well-Known Member

The color doesn't bother me as much as the overwrought curves. In any case it won't stop me from getting one, and I'm sure there will be aftermarket replacements available.
  10. Mykpfsu

Mykpfsu Well-Known Member

So no one for the idea it might house a bigger battery?
  11. Nashdroid

Nashdroid Well-Known Member know me, I'm a sucker for a good discussion. I'll bite.

Yeah, it is kinda interesting that this thing has such a weird looking back. What if this thing has an AMAZING battery life? Would that be worth the weird looking back? I would have to say YES, for sure it would.

This thing is called the HTC Incredible. There are some specs hiding that we don't know about yet, I hope, and when they're all revealed this phone may be MUCH more than we are currently thinking it is. That's just a possibility though. I'm probably wrong.
  12. Kuga

Kuga Active Member

gasp. what if it secretly has a slider keyboard.
  13. tdub88

tdub88 Well-Known Member

You should ask NewsRadio.

Didn't he pm you all the info already?
  14. Nashdroid

Nashdroid Well-Known Member

You're joking, right? haha Please tell me you're joking.
  15. Mykpfsu

Of course there can't be a thickness shot could there? I'm just guessing battery because the 2nd step of texture covers most of the back and seems to add some thickness to it.
  16. MisterG694

MisterG694 Active Member

17. Nashdroid

Nashdroid Well-Known Member

Yeah, man, I SERIOUSLY think that you're onto something here. That totally makes sense now. It may not be correct, but why else would they stagger that back like that? It's a bigger battery, which COULD be for things that are battery intensive, such as...shooting 720p video. Trust me, shooting 720p video drains a batter QUICK! I have a Panasonic Lumix ZS3 camera, and when I'm shooting HD video it drains the battery so fast.

Regardless though, I think you're onto something. That looks like where the battery would go and it's obviously bigger and well...yeah...I happen to think you very well may be right.
  18. Mykpfsu

I doubt it. Look at how Flush the camera is to the back. Take off that red "covering" and its going to stick out with the lights. if it was just a cover they should be more recessed.
  19. MisterG694

MisterG694 Active Member

ahhh your right, but it was worth the concept. As i'm reading other people's posts, the whole battery concept seems good to me. I had so much hope that there would be a HTC commerical on the superbowl... no luck.
  20. helicooper

helicooper Well-Known Member

Yes but if you plan on putting that big of a battery in it you might as well use that extra space for say a better lens...
  21. Reginald VelJohnson

Reginald VelJohnson Well-Known Member

After sleeping on it, I feel pretty confident this back plate is a development version only. I'm not a huge phone nerd, but hasn't everybody pretty much moved to soft touch/muted colors nowadays? I would be willing to be that the production version will retain the ridges (perhaps toned down a little), but the brown/red/whatever will go away and be replaced by something less loud.

I'd love to see the back smoothly radiused without the steps... Kind of iPhone-y, but it's a good look.
  22. Mykpfsu

One would hope. But I get the feeling the Incredible wont be living up to its name compared to the N1. I don't think there is going to be an overly grand camera in the incredible. I don't see 8 megapixel so 5 most likely.
  23. GeorgeH

GeorgeH Well-Known Member

Would it be far fetched to say that this backplate is equivilant to the disguise and masking that a soon to be released car gets while it's being test driven on public roads?
  24. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

Saw a post from a VZW guy in one of the comments sections from the blogs that claimed it would have an interchangeable back plate.
  25. Nigelahmad

Nigelahmad Well-Known Member

Im not sure if they will allow different back colors, being the phone is supposed to coincide with the Incredibles movie whose main color is red. But i could i be so completely red. Im excited about the phone but i wish the phone was more sleek like the bravo and the N1, with the soft touch. I was so excited about that. This doesnt look as high-end as those phones. But i guess the features and a cool case will work to win me completely over.