1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support My video is always upside down???

1. caverman

caverman Active Member

I just got a Galaxy S3 about a month or so ago and today I downloaded some video I took down to my PC. All of the videos are upside down which makes them useless on my PC.

Is there a way that when I'm taking video with my phone I can make sure I have it turned the right way?

Advertisement
  2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Are you holding the phone vertically like on a blackberry or horizontal like a camera?
  3. caverman

caverman Active Member

The video I took last weekend I was holding the phone horizontally. Of course when I view it on the phone right after I take the video it looks fine. I'm assuming since the screen can flip but pull it down to my PC and it'll give you a headache.
  4. funkylogik

Hmm have you tried holding the phone both horizontal ways man? im just in the habit of turning the phone anti clockwise to use the cam.
    Surely you can edit it on the pc or phone to rotate it 180
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I'm sure it can be flipped on the computer using video editing software. But the way to avoid inverted video in the future is to hold the phone the correct way up. Probably easiest way to do that is ensure you have the home button on the right hand side when shooting video.
    funkylogik likes this.
  6. funkylogik

You would think android would use the accelerometer to know which side is down lol. The side with gravity pulling on :D
    mikedt likes this.
  7. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

I've always rotated 90
  8. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

OK I've done a couple of tests using a Samsung phone and the default camera app, and it does use the accelerometer, and in theory should should always record video the right way up. However it only sets the orientation tag, and doesn't actually record the video for the way gravity is pulling. :D Which basically means if the video player ignores the orientation tag, you'll get upside down video. In VLC I got inverted video when holding the phone the other way, and in Mplayer it was OK. So evidently VLC doesn't use the orientation tag by default.

So to ensure your videos always play the right way up in any player or editor, you do have to hold your phone the right way up. Because not all players or editors use the orientation tag.
    funkylogik likes this.
  9. funkylogik

mikedt likes this.
  10. funkylogik

Ahh a dude was talkin about the tag on g+ the other day n i forgot. Aparently Youtube doesnt read it(?)
    What i really hate is watching youtube vids taken on an iphone in vertical position :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    That distroys me!
    mikedt likes this.
  11. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Destroys me as well....
    [​IMG]
    funkylogik likes this.
  12. funkylogik

13. rglight

rglight New Member

Yep, I just checked my Galaxy S5...when I turn the phone over with the video camera running, all of the icon's rotate as to make it easier for me to use the camera in which ever orientation is more comfortable for me. It's almost as if the phone is telling me "It's OK, hold me however is most comfortable....go ahead, shoot your video, see, I've rotated all of the icons for you..." but NOPE, can't pull it off with this equipment. How is it even possible that the answer is to rotate the damn phone?