• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Wishlist for Android 2.1

How about the most potentially fatal (literally) flaw: No handsfree operation. Google has it listed asn an "enhancement" with a medium priority. Dealbreaker for me. Like every phone I've had for seven years, you press the call button on your bluetooth headset (or your wired one), the phone says (through your earpiece), "say a command" and you tell it who to dial. Handsfree. Simple.

In this day and age, people are complaining about multitouch? PLEASE... how about making it a phone first, then go after Apple.
Once they implement this, I'm buying an Android phone!!!

Upvote 0
For me it's really 2 things:

1. Ability to add more home pages without having to load a custom home app

2. I know the memory manager already handles closing running apps when it needs the resources, but in WinMo you had the option of telling the OS to close apps when you closed them, rather than putting them into the background. I love multitasking, but I'd also love the ability to actually close an app when I want it closed. I don't need the browser sitting in the background doing nothing but wasting cycles, I need it closed.

Upvote 0
not happening the way you think it will... you can have apps on the sd card... android is a linux os and all apps are stored on ext2 partitions... the sd card is formatted in fat32 so it can be read by windows, mac, and every other o.s. there is an app or two to repartition the sd card to allow apps to be installed on the sd card... so the internal memory and part of the sd memory would be virtually one ext2 partition.

not sure what point you are making (a bit over my head- sorry)- but actually google is already working on installing apps to the SD card. It was a front page article here (well phandroid.com) a couple/few weeks back.

Even sounded like it wasn't that big a deal that it might be ready in a matter of months.

edit: here's the linky->
http://phandroid.com/2009/11/03/google-iso-developers-for-app2sd/

Upvote 0
what app is that? can you do it without rooting the phone?

there's multiple choices. pandahome is free. I happen to be using that becasue all i want really was to add an extra screen or two, so for me i just dont see the need of the fancier more complex options. There's also I think 'ahome' and a bunch of others. Just search the market.

Upvote 0
2. I know the memory manager already handles closing running apps when it needs the resources, but in WinMo you had the option of telling the OS to close apps when you closed them, rather than putting them into the background. I love multitasking, but I'd also love the ability to actually close an app when I want it closed. I don't need the browser sitting in the background doing nothing but wasting cycles, I need it closed.

I think we (as in former winmo users) need to just move on and get the winmo way of doing things out of our heads- clearly this OS isn't the buggy, bloatware, locking up, laggy, POS that winmo was. Also unlike MS I trust google and the open source folks to make logical decisions about how to run things so if they think it makes sense to keep things in the background than so be it.

philosophy aside- from what I read 'nix based os' like android supposedly put things on "pause" and they DONT use any clock cycles at all when in the background. At least that's what half the people argue in the task manager threads- laughing. Sounds plausible. So there's supposedly no need to nuke things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones