• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My X and data usage - Good gravy!

AshG

Aug 10, 2010
I've been monitoring my data usage since getting my X. On my Blackberries, as a very heavy user, I was averaging 300 - 500 mb per month, tops. I knew that my data usage would go up somewhat, but I just logged into My VZW and found that I've used almost a gig and a half of data this billing cycle! Well, there goes my hopes of getting on the lower tier when the new plans come out... :cool:

I'm dropping as many sites as I can into Mobile Mode rather than full desktop mode to minimize bandwidth usage and backing as many programs that access the internet down to the least amount of access possible. Any other ideas on how to rein back data usage?

Having my X now for a month, I can tell you that I had installed loads of stuff, including launcherPro, LaunchX, Facebook, twitter (which I set to manually refresh) and others.
I decided after my battery was totally drained by 5pm to factory reset and only install what i needed (plus i had grown tired of some of what i had). Anyways, at 8pm last night I was at 40% still.
I'm thinking about gradually adding apps one at a time to see what exactly is eating my battery.
Alos, my phone is running smoother now with no hang ups or whatever.
I wondering if it may have been LauncherPro with homeswitcher.
I added TIKL, my bank and that's it for now.
i may wait till froyo till I start adding stuff back.
Hope this helps someone!!

Upvote 0
Joan, FYI, I have Launcher Pro with Home Switcher and get great battery life. I don't think LP is the battery drainer.

However, if you neglect to clear off your default desktop (all of the widgets) before starting to use Launcher Pro, it will eat your battery - all of those widgets will be running in the background, you just can't see them.

If you decide to install LP again, make sure you clear off the Motorola desktop first.

AshG, desktop widgets will eat up data over time. You don't think about it because they're just there, but unlike Blackberries/iPhones, they're refreshing when you don't care to look at them. When you're sleeping, working, eating, whatever. Also, I find that I download a fair number of apps over 3G, even big ones, so my data usage went up a few hundred megs just yesterday when I downloaded a big app.

Upvote 0
Joan, FYI, I have Launcher Pro with Home Switcher and get great battery life. I don't think LP is the battery drainer.

However, if you neglect to clear off your default desktop (all of the widgets) before starting to use Launcher Pro, it will eat your battery - all of those widgets will be running in the background, you just can't see them.

If you decide to install LP again, make sure you clear off the Motorola desktop first.

AshG, desktop widgets will eat up data over time. You don't think about it because they're just there, but unlike Blackberries/iPhones, they're refreshing when you don't care to look at them. When you're sleeping, working, eating, whatever. Also, I find that I download a fair number of apps over 3G, even big ones, so my data usage went up a few hundred megs just yesterday when I downloaded a big app.

ah, that's why I see all these widget in the running services list even though I don't have any of them on LP desktop. Is there any way I can go back cleaning them up without uninstalling LP? thanks.

Upvote 0
found that I've used almost a gig and a half of data this billing cycle! Well, there goes my hopes of getting on the lower tier when the new plans come out... :cool:

Just to comment on this aspect. Even if they do implement Data Tiers on 3G you will be grandfathered in, meaning it won't apply to you until you renew your contract.

Currently Verizon has stated that Data Tiers are a virtual certainty on 4G (LTE). Data Tiers aren't being considered right now for 3G, but they even said that could change down the road.

Folks currently download 2 GB on 3G are likely to triple that amount on 4G (2Mbps to 5Mbps or higher data rates are possible with 4G)

***FYI***
If Verizon were to move away from unlimited 3G data plans and they were to force you, that would constitute a material change that would allow you to get out of your contract without paying the ETF

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones