My X and data usage - Good gravy!

Last Updated:

1. AshG

AshG Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been monitoring my data usage since getting my X. On my Blackberries, as a very heavy user, I was averaging 300 - 500 mb per month, tops. I knew that my data usage would go up somewhat, but I just logged into My VZW and found that I've used almost a gig and a half of data this billing cycle! Well, there goes my hopes of getting on the lower tier when the new plans come out... :cool:

I'm dropping as many sites as I can into Mobile Mode rather than full desktop mode to minimize bandwidth usage and backing as many programs that access the internet down to the least amount of access possible. Any other ideas on how to rein back data usage?

Advertisement
  2. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

Depends a lot on how much you use market, and stuff like youtube/pandora/slacker/navigation. I'll dump through 2 gigs one month, but this billing cycle I haven't done a lot on market or youtube and I've only gone through about 250MB.

3. Joan006

Joan006 Well-Known Member

Having my X now for a month, I can tell you that I had installed loads of stuff, including launcherPro, LaunchX, Facebook, twitter (which I set to manually refresh) and others.
    I decided after my battery was totally drained by 5pm to factory reset and only install what i needed (plus i had grown tired of some of what i had). Anyways, at 8pm last night I was at 40% still.
    I'm thinking about gradually adding apps one at a time to see what exactly is eating my battery.
    Alos, my phone is running smoother now with no hang ups or whatever.
    I wondering if it may have been LauncherPro with homeswitcher.
    I added TIKL, my bank and that's it for now.
    i may wait till froyo till I start adding stuff back.
    Hope this helps someone!!

4. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Joan, FYI, I have Launcher Pro with Home Switcher and get great battery life. I don't think LP is the battery drainer.

However, if you neglect to clear off your default desktop (all of the widgets) before starting to use Launcher Pro, it will eat your battery - all of those widgets will be running in the background, you just can't see them.

If you decide to install LP again, make sure you clear off the Motorola desktop first.

AshG, desktop widgets will eat up data over time. You don't think about it because they're just there, but unlike Blackberries/iPhones, they're refreshing when you don't care to look at them. When you're sleeping, working, eating, whatever. Also, I find that I download a fair number of apps over 3G, even big ones, so my data usage went up a few hundred megs just yesterday when I downloaded a big app.

5. Xman007

Xman007 Well-Known Member

Wow! I thought I was using a lot, and I'm not even at 1 Gb. I'm guessing 2 Gb would be okay for me.

6. vr4

vr4 Well-Known Member

15 days into the billing cycle and I've used 1.9 gb

7. Kevmueller

Kevmueller Well-Known Member

I just finished my billing cycle and use 2.1 gb. I also did not get my phone until the 3rd so there was a couple days missing. I am also finding more and more to do on my phone and use it more now that I am on 2.2 and have flash.

8. Zumi

Zumi Well-Known Member

5GB used this cycle

9. Eloquence

Eloquence Well-Known Member

I used 1.4 GB this cycle (mine ends today so that's exactly one month's worth!)
    Using leaked froyo 2.2 and rooted :)

-Elo

10. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

I've used .972GB since August 23rd.

11. bouchigo

bouchigo Well-Known Member

I've only used a little bit over 700MB this past month, but my girl used about 1.2GB because she does the facebook thing and listens to Pandora often.

12. pigay

pigay New Member

since I got the phone, around Aug 18th, maybe. I used 14GB so far...
    Jesus....

13. bbuck002

bbuck002 Well-Known Member

1.3gb in the last month, been trying to do as much as possible over wifi. I just leave wifi always on. but i listen to pandora on phone pretty much nonstop.

14. YooserNaem

YooserNaem Member

12 days into cycle. 5.1GB's used.

15. simollie

simollie Well-Known Member

ah, that's why I see all these widget in the running services list even though I don't have any of them on LP desktop. Is there any way I can go back cleaning them up without uninstalling LP? thanks.

16. AMDXP

AMDXP Well-Known Member

Just to comment on this aspect. Even if they do implement Data Tiers on 3G you will be grandfathered in, meaning it won't apply to you until you renew your contract.

Currently Verizon has stated that Data Tiers are a virtual certainty on 4G (LTE). Data Tiers aren't being considered right now for 3G, but they even said that could change down the road.

Folks currently download 2 GB on 3G are likely to triple that amount on 4G (2Mbps to 5Mbps or higher data rates are possible with 4G)

***FYI***
    If Verizon were to move away from unlimited 3G data plans and they were to force you, that would constitute a material change that would allow you to get out of your contract without paying the ETF

17. maroonsloth

maroonsloth Active Member

Download Home Switcher (it's free) to switch between LP and the stock launcher without having to uninstall anything.

simollie likes this.
  18. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

I went from an average of 600Mb / month with my HTC Eris to 1.9 Gb last month with the Droid X. This month I'm gonna end up with about 1.3 Gb. We are all data hogs with the DX for sure. It's just to hard to refuse looking at that big, beautiful screen!

19. YooserNaem

YooserNaem Member

12 days into cycle. 5.1GB's used.