• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MyBackup Pro... disappointing

EvilBunny

Feb 8, 2011
Okay... So I just bought MyBackup Pro and I'm finding out that the $5.00 they charge isn't covering the space on their server... The first 100 Mb is free and then it costs after that. Apparently I have much more than 100 Mb.

That would have been nice to know.

Anyway... Backing up to the SD card seems useless if you lose your phone.

Also... would it work to save the info to your SD card and then send that file to something like dropbox that gives you more free storage? Then, if you need to, you can pull it back onto your new phone and have everything back. Seems like a lot of hassle for something so basic and essential. (maybe not basic, but widely desired I would think)

Is there a better way?

Doesn't the iPhone do this stuff for free in their cloud without you having to think about it?

The obvious goal here is to turn on a brand new phone and be able to pull everything up like it was on your old phone... appearance, widgets, home screen, preferences, etc.

I have a razr running ICS. not rooted.

I had MyBackup Pro also, but uninstalled because Verizon does the same thing. I'm pretty sure MBP has a "cloud" where you can save your stuff to. They don't call it a cloud, I think they say "On line". I use Dropbox for my pictures and files, I have my music at the Amazon Cloud and also on a memory stick, and don't have a back up for my apps, since I don't have that many and the Play Store has a list of what I have downloaded.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Some of what you're describing that you want backed up to have a turn key solution for in the event of a phone replacement lives in privileged areas so you need to be rooted to backup and restore it. MyBackup Pro has a companion product called MyBackup Root, and there's also Titanium Backup and nandroid image backups, all for root users only.

BTW, I personally recommend backing up your phone storage to your pc, and if you want to put it on the cloud as well, great.

Full phone backups can run in to the gigabyte range (a full image of just my phone is close to 2 GB right now), so while cloud backups that size are possible, local storage (pc) will be faster and easier.

Hope this helps! :)

PS - just speaking for myself, between my internal and external sd cards, I have 70 GB of storage. That's a lot for a cloud service but possible I suppose. I think that cloud services are great but maybe not the only way to look at the problem.

Upvote 0
MBP > Titanium for regular users. You can schedule backups (which I have running every other night) and save directly to your SD card. You can then send it to whichever cloud service you want, as others do. Personally, I prefer to keep that on my device and laptop. I try to keep my passwords as private as possible.

Titanium just moved into first place for people who flash a ton of ROMs, but that's not for everyone.

PS, if you had read a review or two, you would have known. The top review on my Google Play site advised that it's $2 per month for storage.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
If losing a phone is ones biggest concern, which backup app is better to use...titanium or mbp? I've read recently that with titanium you can zip everything.....is that a good way / less intrusive way to store stuff in dropbox or on pc? I'm just worried that everything is on non removable sd card and if I had to get a new phone starting from scratch is a bit of a nightmare, especially little things like personal dictionaries (swiftkey) built over time etc

thanks in advance

Upvote 0
If losing a phone is ones biggest concern, which backup app is better to use...titanium or mbp? I've read recently that with titanium you can zip everything.....is that a good way / less intrusive way to store stuff in dropbox or on pc? I'm just worried that everything is on non removable sd card and if I had to get a new phone starting from scratch is a bit of a nightmare, especially little things like personal dictionaries (swiftkey) built over time etc

thanks in advance

A single zip is easier to move around and less hassle on the restore, yeah. Root required.

Upvote 0
Ok, so backing up to a PC makes more sense... I guess I didn't realize how large these backups would be.

In that case, is there a way to move the files from phone to PC wirelessly? And can it be scheduled, so it does it in the background without me knowing about it?

Wow... I just realized how extremely lazy I am :D

Upvote 0
Ok, so backing up to a PC makes more sense... I guess I didn't realize how large these backups would be.

In that case, is there a way to move the files from phone to PC wirelessly? And can it be scheduled, so it does it in the background without me knowing about it?

Wow... I just realized how extremely lazy I am :D

Actually, one of my buddies does exactly that, and describes a pretty cool set up for it. I'll drop him a line to post his suggestions here. :)

Reactions: EvilBunny
Upvote 0
Actually, one of my buddies does exactly that, and describes a pretty cool set up for it. I'll drop him a line to post his suggestions here. :)

I use this, and it hasn't let me down yet. Backsup right to my computer over wifi, automatically. Then my PC backups are completely automated, so my backups get backed up, if that makes sense.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones