• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MyBackup Pro VS. Titanium for rooters

Ok, I'll bite. I've never used the 'freeze app' option in TiBu, though I sure have seen it mentioned enough; what does that do?

It's essentially the same as manually renaming a .apk file to .bak. It makes it invisible to the system, so that it can't run, but leaves the actual file there for easy retrieval should you need it. I use it to freeze all the verizon bloatware that came on my phone. Blockbuster, skype, cityID, etc etc. The advantage is that when it's time for an OTA update (like to Gingerbread), I just unfreeze them, receive my update, then refreeze them. As you should know, OTA updates don't work without ALL system files intact, including the bloatware.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'll bite. I've never used the 'freeze app' option in TiBu, though I sure have seen it mentioned enough; what does that do?

It freezes the app so that it doesn't work, kind of like uninstalling it. I use it to freeze the News and Weather app so it isn't constantly running. At least that is how I've always heard it explained. I don't use it except for that one app.

Upvote 0
Ah got you. And that's why I never needed it, I just don't bother with the 'bloatware' issue, as I don't see anything using resources (via battery usage) that has ever concerned me.

And yes, I do know that those items need to be in place to take an OTA update, hence I never have suggest flat out removal. But I have never, ever, nor ever will take an OTA update on my phone and have had it since Nov 9, 2009. I did the first update from 2.0 to 2.0.1 manually and rooted it right afterwards.

Upvote 0
It's essentially the same as manually renaming a .apk file to .bak. It makes it invisible to the system, so that it can't run, but leaves the actual file there for easy retrieval should you need it. I use it to freeze all the verizon bloatware that came on my phone. Blockbuster, skype, cityID, etc etc. The advantage is that when it's time for an OTA update (like to Gingerbread), I just unfreeze them, receive my update, then refreeze them. As you should know, OTA updates don't work without ALL system files intact, including the bloatware.

If you are rooted, and I ASSume you are since you are using Titanium :D, I thought it was a BIG nish-nish to EVER accept an OTA update?? For instance, there was this latest update to the EVO last month I guess that installed Blockbuster and Swype and other stuff. I was rooted and did NOT install the update.

I've ALWAYS been told by the "powers that be" to wait for a new version of the stock ROM to come out and flash that. In SOME cases the ROM version is available before the OTA release!:D

Have you EVER accepted an OTA update since rooting??

Upvote 0
If you are rooted, and I ASSume you are since you are using Titanium :D, I thought it was a BIG nish-nish to EVER accept an OTA update?? For instance, there was this latest update to the EVO last month I guess that installed Blockbuster and Swype and other stuff. I was rooted and did NOT install the update.

I've ALWAYS been told by the "powers that be" to wait for a new version of the stock ROM to come out and flash that. In SOME cases the ROM version is available before the OTA release!:D

Have you EVER accepted an OTA update since rooting??

Yup. The only OTA update so far for the D2G was to 2.4.330 from 2.3.290 or whatever the base software was. I just re-rooted with Z4root with no issues. And if it HAD caused me issues, I've got backups AND the 2.3.290 SBF and RSDLite, I wouldn't have had any issues.

Whether or not you want to wait for an update is up to you. However, with the VERY limited number of D2G Devs out there, I didn't see the point in waiting for someone to compile me a new ROM when I could just get the OTA and re-root.

Upvote 0
Whether or not you want to wait for an update is up to you. However, with the VERY limited number of D2G Devs out there, I didn't see the point in waiting for someone to compile me a new ROM when I could just get the OTA and re-root.

Ahhh...understood. Seem that there are usually a few more option with the EVO if not "within a couple days" sometimes available YESTERDAY before anything official comes out.

Good to know you didn't have any problems and that, if I get daring, I could try an OTA and flash back a recover as you suggested.

Are you/we SURE that flashing back to a recovery if there is a problem with UNDO the OTA? As I type this, I THINK that this is a silly question but just want to make sure...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones