• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Myn

Putty

Android Expert
May 31, 2010
OH--IO
Thoughts on this rom? Thinking of going to it from CM6. I just am not getting that good of batt life on CM6 and decided to try this due to the batt tweak. I read the thread on XDA and people are saying upwards of 16hrs with heavy use....using the installed kernel.
I just installed systen monitor and going to give CM6 a full charge, monitor and see just how long my batt lasts with my usage.

Only thing that syncs is GAPPS and Facebook. Batt life was an issue before FB though. Even in the CM6 thread on XDA, everyone complains the batt life is horrid at best. I charged to full and got about 10hrs. That's with below average use. No surfing. Just basic texting and maybe a few calls. Also messing with settings and such.

Upvote 0
Also, if you read even more through the thread at xda you will find that people with identical setups are reporting widely varying battery life. Different phone, different user, different results. What is heavy use to you may be moderate to me. From most of the screen shots I see of people touting 16+ hours of usage, cell standby and phone idle are the highest items in the battery use list. Even though they say heavy usage, my heavy usage is marathon angry bird session over lunch, tweetcaster running all day, pandora with screen on, etc.

So be prepared for battery life that doesn't exactly match up with what others are posting. I am almost always near a charger so 12 hours total is perfectly reasonable for me. For others, not so much.

I love Myn's ROM though. Between RLS1 and RLS2 this has been the longest running ROM on my phone since I rooted.

Upvote 0
Yeah lol your not the only one. That games drains the hell out of my battery. I just beat is so i will take a break from it.
I'm going to try Warm 2.2 either that or fresh, but everyone and their grandma are on fresh.

ive tried about 10 roms and always find my way back to fresh, idk i dont even use most of sense, i use lp but it just seems the best next to stock imo

Upvote 0
I've been running Myn's rls1 and 2 from the beginning. All I can say is find the right kernel that works best with your phone as well as your usage habits. All this focusing on quadrant scores has ppl using kernels mainly for "speed" that just eat through their batteries. I've tried Fresh and Baked Snack, but I've never been happier than I am now with Warm TwoPointTwo RLS2.

Upvote 0
So you're getting 12hrs with your "Marathon" usage you stated?? If so, that would be at least 14 to 16 hours for me. I play no games or stream anything.

Some days more, some days less. Many days it doesn't even matter because I charge it at several different points throughout the day.

My larger point was to the OP that with so many variables in setups and usage you really need to take battery claims with a grain of salt.

If I rarely used any of the "smartphone" features of the device I could probably get over a day of battery out of it.

For me, questions of battery life on a phone like this are akin to trying to figure out how to get great gas mileage out of a Ferrari. If I want great gas mileage I'll get a Prius. If I want great battery life I'll get a Blackberry Curve. Instead I got an EVO with a few strategically placed charger cables. But hey, thats just me. ;)

Upvote 0
I've been running Myn's 2.2 for a few days now. I must say it is one of my favorites thus far (Fresh being next in line from the 3 I've tried). The biggest battery saver I've found (along with shutting off the norm - 4G, Background services, Bluetooth, etc.) is changing the SetCPU scaling to Powersave while I'm not using the phone. Then I set to Conservative for normal usage. As needed I will change to Ondemand or Performance. I do not have any profiles active in SetCPU as this apparently counteracts what the kernel (HAVS) is designed to do with scaling the CPU. I do not have a fancy theme running or play games. Mostly calls, texts and surfing. Here are today's numbers:

Cell Standby: 46%
Phone Idle: 33%
Voice Calls: 10%
Android System: 7%
Dialer: 2%
Display: 2%

7 hours and 46 minutes since unplugged and battery is at 79%. Now I can't tell you if another ROM/Kernel combo will give you better or worse as this is really the first time I've changed SetCPU scaling to Powersave mode for most of the day (which is fine for calls/texts/basics). However, this is the best battery life I've had since purchasing the phone. Prior to this I was losing approximately 5% battery life per hour. Trial and error appears to be the key....and can also be a pain. Don't try using power hungry apps in Powersave mode as it will be too slow. Try changing SetCPU and see how it works for you. I'm eager to hear your results.

Upvote 0
I've been running Myn's rls1 and 2 from the beginning. All I can say is find the right kernel that works best with your phone as well as your usage habits. All this focusing on quadrant scores has ppl using kernels mainly for "speed" that just eat through their batteries. I've tried Fresh and Baked Snack, but I've never been happier than I am now with Warm TwoPointTwo RLS2.

What kernal are you using. I read Myn's post for hours this morning before flashing that rom so i went with King's Kernal #9 which i hear is the best in performance as well as battery life.

Another thing...anyone have a good theme for this or themes that work for this Rom? I attempted to load Riptide what worked perfect with my prevous Rom (Ava-FroyoV9) but it just kept crashing the home screen.

Upvote 0
What kernal are you using. I read Myn's post for hours this morning before flashing that rom so i went with King's Kernal #9 which i hear is the best in performance as well as battery life.

Another thing...anyone have a good theme for this or themes that work for this Rom? I attempted to load Riptide what worked perfect with my prevous Rom (Ava-FroyoV9) but it just kept crashing the home screen.

Riptide's v8 works fine for me and I'm running Myn's RLS2 with King's #11.

Upvote 0
Man, I flashed 2.2 yesterday and stayed on the stock kernel and WOW!!!!!!!!!, what a batt life difference. I went to bed at 87% and woke up at 80%. This is far better than CM6. The other day I went to bed at 40% on CM and woke up to the less than 10% warning.
Upset I can't overclock with this kernel, but oh well...batt life is super!

Curious.. I have SetCPU 2.03 and am also using Myn's 2.2, my scaling options in SetCPU are userspace, ondemand and performance. Any thoughts on how / why Powersave or Conservative are not there?? I also do not have any active profiles. Just curious if you had any thoughts.

- Rodney

Those options depend on the kernel you are using.

Upvote 0
I'm currently using TwoPointTwo RS2 with Kings Kernel 9 BFS... seems to be a good combo.

I also use Baked Snack 1.8 with baked kernel #6; this combo is very similar to TwoPointTwo for me (I flash Riptide9's clear theme on top of both). Baked seems to benchmark a bit higher (mainly in quadrant) but Myn's seems a bit smoother in my everyday use.

Upvote 0
Putty,
** !! ** Disclaimer ** !! ** Rooting newbie asking question, be gentle.. I understand your using the stock kernel, am I to assume that I am using the kernel that is provided with TwoPointTwo if the only thing I have done to my phone is root it using unrevoked3 and installed TwoPointTwo? So for me to have your same options in SetCPU I would need to install the stock kernel from some other source. I see many people using Kings Kernel 9 BFS with this rom, any thoughts on that combo.

- Rodney

Upvote 0
I've been on RLS2 since the day it was released (and on RLS1) for a week or so prior. Works great for me. No issues. No FCs. There is a LowRider theme I like a lots so I use that and have not had any problems. I was using Kings CFS 11 and that worked well for me. I am currently trying bakedsnacke6 just to to see how that goes. My next try will be with the stock kernel for the Rom. Seems to me that...... all this effort to test out different kernels is kind of a waste of time. It hasn't seemed to change my battery life much. I am satisfied with battery, have a charger with me at work and at home, have a spare battery, so... I may soon be "over" this kerenel testing thing.

Back to the point - looove Myn's Rom. Smooth, snappy, no lag. He's already working on RLS3 :eek:!

Upvote 0
Putty,
** !! ** Disclaimer ** !! ** Rooting newbie asking question, be gentle.. I understand your using the stock kernel, am I to assume that I am using the kernel that is provided with TwoPointTwo if the only thing I have done to my phone is root it using unrevoked3 and installed TwoPointTwo? So for me to have your same options in SetCPU I would need to install the stock kernel from some other source. I see many people using Kings Kernel 9 BFS with this rom, any thoughts on that combo.

- Rodney

I have never had any luck with Kingz kernels. I'd be more inclined to use Netarchy's, BUT people are saying Kingz 11 cfs is great with 2.2...I am using the stock kernel because I can't find it in standalone form anywhere. Therefore, I refuse to test another kernel that may be worse and i'm screwed. I am hearing also that baked snacks 6 is working great with 2.2...that is what i'll try if I can find this HTC kernel.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones