• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Myn's 2.2 RLS3

First impressions are extremely positive. The Rosie setup is nicer and the option to change the settings is a REALLY nice touch. It looks a tad cleaner and the quicker transitions are easily noticeable. I will run with the included kernel for a while, but I'm likely to try Ziggy's kernel. Myn gave it a shout out saying that it led to outstanding battery life. I didn't like it with RL2, so I am skeptical, but we will see!

Great job Myn!

Upvote 0
I came from baked snack ROMs and loving rls3 so far. I did have to put the stock fonts back on and then ended up flashing BS #6 kernel (maybe it is placebo, but that kernel is so noticeably better on battery life for my phone than any other kernel).

The transitions were a nice touch but I disabled them and this ROM just flies.

Upvote 0
I love everything but the dialer. Its skinned like the keyboard and I replaced that with the x one. Guess i need to find a dialer.

I also replaced my keyboard but with swype, I'm kinda diggin the blacked out dialer at the moment, its different and works with the rest of the theme that was done. That said, I don't imagine it will last to long after the novelty wears off for me.

Upvote 0
I came from baked snack ROMs and loving rls3 so far. I did have to put the stock fonts back on and then ended up flashing BS #6 kernel (maybe it is placebo, but that kernel is so noticeably better on battery life for my phone than any other kernel).

The transitions were a nice touch but I disabled them and this ROM just flies.

Why did you flash the stock fonts? If it is because of the wrapping text when zooming in on pages, you can use other fonts. It is just, for some reason, the way Myn's ROMis set up, his don't work.

Upvote 0
I also replaced my keyboard but with swype, I'm kinda diggin the blacked out dialer at the moment, its different and works with the rest of the theme that was done. That said, I don't imagine it will last to long after the novelty wears off for me.

If you like the dialer skin, you can get your swype keyboard skinned the same way from the first page on his post at xda. It's pretty nice, although there's no separation between the keys which takes getting used to. You also have to have metamorph (think it's a buck or something from the market)

Upvote 0
If you like the dialer skin, you can get your swype keyboard skinned the same way from the first page on his post at xda. It's pretty nice, although there's no separation between the keys which takes getting used to. You also have to have metamorph (think it's a buck or something from the market)

The one he has on the first page is for the 2.44 (or something like that) version I have the 1.6 version.

Upvote 0
Are there alternative dialers you can install to get different looks?

I dont know if there are alternatives with out researching it, I most likely was going to go in and delete the altered files to regain the stock look. After I thought about it for a while I dont know that I would hassle with it because I don't really use it all to often, I really don't like talking on the phone and most of the time when I do its contacts or what not that I'm calling anyway...

Upvote 0
Why did you flash the stock fonts? If it is because of the wrapping text when zooming in on pages, you can use other fonts. It is just, for some reason, the way Myn's ROMis set up, his don't work.

Because for me, the stock fonts are more "readable", especially with the stock HTC messaging app. So I prefer the stock font because it is more "bold" than the font that comes with myn's ROM and just become used to it.

Upvote 0
Because for me, the stock fonts are more "readable", especially with the stock HTC messaging app. So I prefer the stock font because it is more "bold" than the font that comes with myn's ROM and just become used to it.

Understandable. I just didn't know if you were flashing it for the sole reason of fixing the issue that I pointed out. If you care to at all, you can browse some of the other fonts that are available in this thread:

132 Flashable Font Packs - Change your system fonts the easy way! - xda-developers

The stock fonts are nice, but there are some good ones in there, too.

Upvote 0
I also am not too impressed with the dialer. I also flashed it with Kings# 11 kernel. So far it seems to have slowed me down from the stock kernel. Anyone else using this kernel?

I haven't tried it with RLS3, but it ran fine on RLS2. The HTC#10 kernel that comes with RLS3 is snappy and so far is kind on the battery, so I'm not in a hurry to change it out. I would suggest going with the stock kernel to start, then give it a few days. Next week sometime I will give Ziggy's kernel another try per Myn's recommendation about battery life.

Upvote 0
Question: When I flash a new kernel will I have to redo all my data and crap. That's what I hate about flashing new roms. I have to restore all my apps and reset all my setting the way I like and I always run out of room so I send them to the sd card. It's just a huge hassle.

Will have to do that with a kernel? And do I just flash it the same way? I use RomManager.

Upvote 0
Question: When I flash a new kernel will I have to redo all my data and crap. That's what I hate about flashing new roms. I have to restore all my apps and reset all my setting the way I like and I always run out of room so I send them to the sd card. It's just a huge hassle.

Will have to do that with a kernel? And do I just flash it the same way? I use RomManager.

You don't have to wipe everything for a new kernel and you don't have to redo any settings. Wipe your cache/dalvik cache, then flash the kernel.

Upvote 0

I also suggest you get the pro version of Titanium Backup. It basically has a one click batch restore. So even if you wipe your phone, you just download the app again and then to a batch restore.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones