• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I used rom manager to download rs4. It has an option for the HTC keyboard there is a link for it too in his xda forum. I use setcpu and kings kernel9 for fantastic battery life

what are you doing specifically with setcpu?

I did the battery calibration and then as mentioned before in this thread, when the battery got down to 88% I put it back on the charger until 100% again, and this time when I pulled it off, there was no 10% drop woohoo!! it stayed on 100% for like 20 mins or so, even while I was making calls, texting, checking emails etc.. :)
then I used the mobile hot spot for about half hour and that dropped it some, but that was to be expected, we'll see how she is at the end of the day, but it seems to be doing much better

Reactions: Shadax
Upvote 0
I use this froyo keyboard. It matches the black/green theme (in portrait anyways) and have no problem adding/not adding to dictionary. I can type just fine with it and it doesn't have arrow keys...

[THEME] Black/green AOSP keyboard - Android Forums

Cool, I'm gonna use this for now. It seems to slow down a tiny bit and is a liiiiittle ugly but this avoids all of my other nit picking haha. So thank you very much for this.

Upvote 0
Need some help guys,

I'm using Myns RLS4 and I cannot get 4g working. I'm in L.A. and 4G is officially out . however, I only see it "scanning" a friend has an EVO and he was able to use 4G just fine.

Myns RLS4
HTC-kernel@and18-2#17
2.6.32.15-g59b9e50

Is there a stock wimax zip i can reflash or any other kind if wimax zip out there?

Upvote 0
Need some help guys,

I'm using Myns RLS4 and I cannot get 4g working. I'm in L.A. and 4G is officially out . however, I only see it "scanning" a friend has an EVO and he was able to use 4G just fine.

Myns RLS4
HTC-kernel@and18-2#17
2.6.32.15-g59b9e50

Is there a stock wimax zip i can reflash or any other kind if wimax zip out there?

Sort of, but I would certainly not start there. The first thing you should do is make a nandroid backup, then wipe data and reflash either rls4 or any other sense rom, and then test 4g. You should also make sure your RSA keys are still there. Open a terminal (or install it if you haven't already), type su then run the this command:

grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0

You should get output that looks like this:

RSA-REQUEST
RSA-REPLY
RSA-REJECT
RSA-ACK
RSA-1024
RSA-REQUEST
RSA-REPLY
RSA-REJECT
RSA-ACK
RSA-1024
RSA
ReRSA
RSA requests
RSA replies
-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

If you don't see those last two lines, especially, you have a big problem. Start there.

Reactions: techniqx
Upvote 0
Sort of, but I would certainly not start there. The first thing you should do is make a nandroid backup, then wipe data and reflash either rls4 or any other sense rom, and then test 4g. You should also make sure your RSA keys are still there. Open a terminal (or install it if you haven't already), type su then run the this command:

grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0

You should get output that looks like this:

RSA-REQUEST
RSA-REPLY
RSA-REJECT
RSA-ACK
RSA-1024
RSA-REQUEST
RSA-REPLY
RSA-REJECT
RSA-ACK
RSA-1024
RSA
ReRSA
RSA requests
RSA replies
-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

If you don't see those last two lines, especially, you have a big problem. Start there.

I performed the grep command and I did receive the same output. i've also Wiped Dalvic, cache and did a full wipe/restore with RLS4 but what I get in return is just a "scanning" message.

Upvote 0
I performed the grep command and I did receive the same output. i've also Wiped Dalvic, cache and did a full wipe/restore with RLS4 but what I get in return is just a "scanning" message.

And you're sure you're in an area where you should be getting 4g? You said your friend was able to get 4g coverage. Was he connecting from the exact same area?

Upvote 0
If you have a question about coverage, I recommend going here: CLEAR | 4G WiMAX Internet Coverage Map with Service Area.

Then you can see the specific 4G towers in your area to see how/if you are really covered. If your 4G has stopped working, I would check 2 things. First, are you using SwithPro widget? If so, try deleting it and see if that helps. Second, I would make a nand backup, then flash an old nand and see if 4G works for you then. If 4G works on an old nand backup, then you know it's something in your current settings. This happened one time to me and I ended up doing a full wipe and flashing the ROM new and 4G came back to life. I even used titanium backup to restore apps/data and the problem did not return.

Upvote 0
And you're sure you're in an area where you should be getting 4g? You said your friend was able to get 4g coverage. Was he connecting from the exact same area?

Correct. We both work at the same place. both phones were rooted. he's using the stock rom root. Im using 2.2 RLS4. before RLS4 , I was using FReshs' 3.3.0.1. 4G worked Intermittently. I Just dont know why it doesnt work for me.

Upvote 0
what are you doing specifically with setcpu?

I did the battery calibration and then as mentioned before in this thread, when the battery got down to 88% I put it back on the charger until 100% again, and this time when I pulled it off, there was no 10% drop woohoo!! it stayed on 100% for like 20 mins or so, even while I was making calls, texting, checking emails etc.. :)
then I used the mobile hot spot for about half hour and that dropped it some, but that was to be expected, we'll see how she is at the end of the day, but it seems to be doing much better

I use setcpu to run the CPU at 245 mhz with the screen off and overclock to 1.19 mhz for on demand use. Battery is great for me but I use a 3000 mAh Yoobao battery. I also have all my programs on my 32gb micro sdhc and I'm not sure if accessing it constantly affects battery or not

Upvote 0

I found these steps at xda:

gthing Wrote:

1. I ran an update of the prl just to make sure it was current.
2. I ran the profile update in the same location.
3. I then did this:

adb shell
ls /data/misc/wimax/

look for a file with your macaddress ending in .tree.xml. you want to move that to another location so it gets regenerated. (the following command basically renames it.)

mv /data/misc/wimax/(Your-mac-address).tree.xml /data/misc/wimax/(Your-mac-address).tree.xml.old

[GUIDE] Bad WiMax MAC? Broken 4G after update? Fix HERE! [Archive] - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I use setcpu to run the CPU at 245 mhz with the screen off and overclock to 1.19 mhz for on demand use. Battery is great for me but I use a 3000 mAh Yoobao battery. I also have all my programs on my 32gb micro sdhc and I'm not sure if accessing it constantly affects battery or not

Cool thanks for the settings, ill give them a try, I'm sure the 3000 mah battery doesn't hurt lol, well that topping off the battery when it drops to 88% is definitely not a permanent cuz I lost 10% right off the charger again today, don't really wanna have to do that every day so we'll see if the setcpu helps

Upvote 0
Great ROM, I got in at rls3, I really like it.

my only bugs are : the 4G scanning bug, I do a hot reboot usually fixes it.

Bug #2 bluetooth, several times, when either turning bluetooth off, or going out of range of the BY device will result in a spontaneous restart.

Both minor bugs, especially when the restart is so quick.

Still trying to evaluate battery life, as there has been no routine since Thanksgiving.

Upvote 0
Question, when I go to flash a zip from rom manager i asks me if I want to wipe cache etc?I put yes, and then it boots me into recovery, so my question is, Does Rom manager wipe the cache and davlik when you put yes? Or do you still have to do it manually once in recovery? thanks

I suppose that's the idea, but it's been known to be inconsistent.

Bug #2 bluetooth, several times, when either turning bluetooth off, or going out of range of the BY device will result in a spontaneous restart.

Still trying to evaluate battery life, as there has been no routine since Thanksgiving.

Which 4G scanning bug are you referring to, specifically?

Reactions: luigic81
Upvote 0
so I tried to flash the setcpu zip file that I got for free on the XDA fourms, I did it through rom manager and for some reason when it rebooted it wiped all my data etc.. (maybe that was becuase I did automatic cache clearing etc... next time I will wipe the cache manually) but anyways once it rebooted I could not find setcpu anywhere, so I just restored to my previous backup. Can anyone confirm if that is a good file? thanks

Upvote 0
Anyone else having a problem with the wifi control in the notification panel? It seems if wifi is enabled, my notification toggle control isn't lit indicating so. So i have to press the wifi toggle, which of course states "disabling wifi", then press again and it shows "enabling wifi", at which point the toggle lights up. Anytime i try to turn off wifi using the notification bar toggle, it doesn't actually turn it off regardless of the light on/off. ie - i leave my office and turn off wifi via notification bar control, head to chick-fil-a, and notice "Wifi Networks Available" while i'm sitting in the drive thru.

I do have a wifi toggle via Extended Controls that i usually have to use to turn wifi on/off, and it reads correctly each time. Just wondering if there's a conflict with me having both toggles, or if anyone else is having this issue with the new notification controls...

Upvote 0

Do you have Vlingo InCar installed by any chance? That program was causing my phone to restart every time I disconnected from the speakerphone in my car.

Upvote 0
so I tried to flash the setcpu zip file that I got for free on the XDA fourms, I did it through rom manager and for some reason when it rebooted it wiped all my data etc.. (maybe that was becuase I did automatic cache clearing etc... next time I will wipe the cache manually) but anyways once it rebooted I could not find setcpu anywhere, so I just restored to my previous backup. Can anyone confirm if that is a good file? thanks

Which file is that, exactly?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones