1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Mysterious Broken PieceGeneral

1. Langzaiguy

Langzaiguy Member

I went to charge my phone yesterday and the charging port felt strange. I remove the plug and a piece falls out. The plug still fits snugly, the phone still charges and is able to transfer data via USB. I tried to stream video from it using a friend's micro to HDMI plug. That, would not work. It wouldn't even charge. I'm assuming that the piece was necessary to stream video, however I don't know if his equipment was functioning properly with mine. The piece is roughly a square centimeter--perhaps a bit smaller. Any ideas?

See attached picture.

Attached Files:

Advertisement
    :
  2. jzebrahockey

jzebrahockey Well-Known Member

I would take it back to the store you got it from and get a replacement phone. Do it sooner than later. Not sure what that piece is for but if it came from your phone it was there for a reason.
    Langzaiguy likes this.
  3. bulla16

bulla16 Active Member

I would agree on swapping it out if a piece fell out of it, but I also wanted to mention that the S3 wouldn't do MicroSD to HDMI without the Samsung proprietary adapter, so the S4 may be the same...:(
  4. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

It is. You need the proprietary 11 pin Samsung MHL adapter.

I'd definitely take it back though. They don't put superfluous bits in. If something fell out, it shouldn't have.
    Langzaiguy likes this.
  5. fatalfury

fatalfury Well-Known Member

came off your speaker on the bottom portion of your phone on the back
  6. Langzaiguy

Langzaiguy Member

I checked, and the speaker is intact. I'll take it in today and see if they can test it. Strange that the plug still fits snugly.
  7. BzB

BzB Well-Known Member

looks like the speaker cover to me too. won't affect the operation of the speaker.
  8. Langzaiguy

Langzaiguy Member

Well I took it in to my local Verizon store. They compared my S4 with one of theirs and they diagnosed the problem as a broken guide. They said that I could send it in to verizonwireless.com (where I bought it) to get a new one. Or, wait and try out the HDMI video. They said the S4 had a one year warranty that does not cover water damage or dropping and that this would be covered.

I think what I may do is wait until the next MHL/HDMI converter comes out for the S4, presumably next month, and test it out.