Mystery message sent - creepy?

1. sivitri

sivitri New Member

Hey all, I made a profile here just to ask this question as I found this pretty creepy...

Last night I went to bed at around 12:30am, with my phone at my bedside table, and this morning I get a text from my husband asking what I meant last night. Going through my sent messages to him, I see one sent at 1:04am saying "Smells so good"

If that's not weird enough, that message had a "delivery report" icon next to it. I'm using Go SMS Pro, and delivery reports are something I had never used before. It requires some navigating in menu's to activate it.

The "Delivery Report" box was checked off this morning. It was not active, it has never been active.

So aside from freaking out and claiming my phone is haunted, does anyone have a technical explanation for this occuring?

Phone is Sony Xperia Play, app is Go SMS Pro

Advertisement
  2. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

Maybe you are sleep texting? JK :D

Have you installed any new apps recently (the last day or two)? Also, was it just your husband that received this or did any of your other contacts receive strange messages from you?

You could try installing a malware / antivirus app and have it scan your phone. A virus is highly unlikely but you may have gotten malware from an app you installed.
  3. sivitri

sivitri New Member

He accused me of sleep-texting as well! I don't think that's it, haha :)
    None of my other contacts received a message from me, it was just to him, and this was the first and only occurrence (so far) of this happening.
    The last app I installed was last week(Pathfinder Spellbook), and the results of the virus and malware scan are coming up clean.
    Too creepy, imo!
  4. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

Could be because it's an SE phone. :p

I've had his happen with the Vivaz Pros running Symbian. But at a much larger scale. It not only texted, but would dial out as well. Could never figure out if it was a hardware or software OS defect. Happened with many Vivaz owners.

Why am I bringing this up? Because it's an SE phone and my previous experiences with them have not been pleasant ones. But it's their mobile division I have very little faith in.
  5. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

6. Caro332

Caro332 Well-Known Member

sleep texting hahaha awesome!! :D

I have no idea if this is possible but here goes...Is it possible for someone to hack into the phone and send that text??
  7. firebreather

firebreather New Member

I was getting ready for bed and my wife went to check and lay down with our 12 y/o son, when I got a text message at 1204 am say "OK sounds good' from my wife's cell phone, so I text-ed back 'HUH'. I told her to come to the bedroom and I asked her what did she mean by the text? she said I never sent you that text, so we compared her phone and my phone messages and sure enough, that message was inserted into our previous conversion somehow, but it was absent on her phone and only present on my phone? that is so wierd, its like someone was listening to talk, because I told her verablly in person moments before heading to the bedroom that I was going to bed and she said she was going to lay down with our son for a few minutes.......thats it, then 1or 2 minutes later I get that text saying "OK, sounds good"? that really creep-ed me out.
  8. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

9. tenchy

tenchy Well-Known Member

do you check the permissions of apps that you install?

for example the below are a SMALL selection of permissions for a popular WEATHER app!!

Permissions

This application has access to the following:

• Services that cost you moneysend SMS messages
      Allows the app to send SMS messages. Malicious apps may cost you money by sending messages without your confirmation.
      directly call phone numbers
      Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention. Malicious apps may cause unexpected calls on your phone bill. Note that this doesn't allow the app to call emergency numbers.
  10. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Well-Known Member

Voice to text...butt texting.
    Harry2 likes this.
  11. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Excellent, my dear Holmes ... :)

Harry
  12. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

I dated a woman who was taking Ambien. She used to send me some of the most confusing and horribly misspelled text messages in the middle of the night.

The next morning she had no memory of sending the messages.
    She started leaving her cell in the bathroom at night.