• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mystery Update Message...

findwaldo

Jan 6, 2011
Hi,

My son took the player to a sleep over and just called me with a question. He turned the player on, left it for a couple of minutes, came back to an update screen with android and papers flying, with a message "Downloading to target."

It's the player's first time on his friend's wi-fi network which doesn't have a password.

1. Has anyone experienced this message before?

2. Any idea what's updating?

3. Will the player automatically connect to a new wi-fi network (that doesn't have security) without prompting?

Thanks

I have no idea what the message is. I have never seen that.
The device will connect to open networks (those that are unsecured with passwords or encryption) automatically.

WiFi Analyzer is a great free app which shows the various wifi hotspots in your immediate locale and their strength and channel location. Also puts an asterisk (*) next to the name of each unsecured hotspot.

Upvote 0
Apparently my son held down the volume key while powering the player up and entered the "download mode" (equivalent to bootloader, i think). Because it was unintentional and he wasn't flashing anything, he just held down the power button till it turned off and reboot. Everything was back to normal.

Upvote 0
This message is for users of a program called Odin, to flash firmware and ROMS. No action takes place unless you have connected the device to PC with Odin installed and the respective device drivers. Even then you would need to download a compatible ROM and know how to flash it. Simply hold power down again to switch off. It can be ignored.

You can get to this ODIN mode by holding the down volume button whilst powering on.

Upvote 0
I went through "MY Apps" (apps I have installed) and turned off "Auto Update" on most of them. By default most have auto update on.

I don't want my unit to be doing downloads while I move around the city. I don't know if downloads can be corrupted by constant failures and restarts as the device connects and losses it's connections to the Internet.

I keep it turned off until I need access to the Internet. For one thing it reduces battery consumption by having it off and therefore extending your up time.

JLG

Upvote 0
With Auto-Updates turned off, your SGP will notify you, via the top pull down bar, that updates are available. You then have the option to apply whatever updates are there. Mine is always turned off. That way I can choose when I want to have them download.

Actually, I keep the notifications turned off too. A visit to the play store now and again is enough to catch anything and I don't need my notification screen filling up with stuff that isn't a high priority for me to attend to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones