MyTouch 3G also a modem?

Last Updated:

1. KDohrer87

KDohrer87 New Member This Topic's Starter

I was told that my new MyTouch 3G could be used as a modem, so when you plug in the phone into your usb port on your computer, you can run the internet on your computer using the MyTouch as long as you were in service and could connect to the internet on the actual phone. I was wondering if the was true and if it was, how to do it.

Advertisement
  2. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

If you're rooted, the popular custom roms come with a usb tether capability.

If you're not rooted, there are a couple options. PDANet is popular, but I've never used it.

3. mulletcutter

mulletcutter Well-Known Member

Pdanet works great, but when your rooted you can wifi tether. Cyanogens roms come with them...

4. ldotwilliams

ldotwilliams Member

Yeah PDAnet is the best i use it all the time at school

5. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

doont know if the mytouch 2.2 version will have tether/hotspot, but on the nex it does. maybe it will for you too

6. mulletcutter

mulletcutter Well-Known Member

That's why rooting is there...

7. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

maybe he doesnt want to. who knows :)

8. Marc Wonderland

Marc Wonderland Well-Known Member

Like the others have said, download PDAnet from the market if you do not have it rooted.

9. larryccf

larryccf Well-Known Member

been using PDAnet since december- works great - only complaint i have is all the frigging "updates" requiring update to both the phone's app and the software on the computer

be careful on your useage though - some have said there's a 5GB download limit (per billing period) before Tmo will throttle your connection back to EDGE speeds (from 3G) for the remainder of that billing period

i've watched my data downloads on my Tmo account page and have gone past 5GB 4 times (usually in the 6GB range) and haven't found my connection slowed down, but i always use it in the evenings to browse the web on the couch with my laptop

a poster in another thread, said he used to work for one of the big carriers, and that was was critical was not busting the upper limit during peak times, ie during normal workday hours, so that may be why i didn't see any throttling back on my useage

suspect my useage will go way up when the samsung galaxy s is finally released and full HSPA svc is deployed here in my area

10. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

^^^^ tis true but said cap is 10 gigs not 5.

11. Chidori602

Chidori602 Well-Known Member

pdanet is the best option if you dont want to spent any time configuring your computer. There is another option, called proxiod but its somewhat hard to make it work.

12. larryccf

larryccf Well-Known Member

that's what i originally thought, but someone in another forum posted a memo from Tmo svc tech that it was 5GB

either one though, doesn't reconcile with Tmo's descript of "unlimited" on their "plans" page