mytouch 3g cancel data plan

Last Updated:

1. kevster0522

kevster0522 New Member This Topic's Starter

I know that there has been alot of talk about the mt3g and the fact that you can activate it by using a different sim with a data plan and then put your sim (without data plan) back in the mt3g and you can just use the wifi for internet but my question is... is it possible to upgrade the phone i have right now to the mytouch 3g and then cancel the data plan right away or do I have to keep the data plan with the 2 year contract???

Advertisement
  2. gwcaton

gwcaton Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that if TMO subsidizes your phone you are locked into the data plan for the duration of the plan.

3. kevster0522

kevster0522 New Member This Topic's Starter

what if I used the excuse that I sold my phone and i'm using my old one without internet and I ask them to talk off the data plan do you think that will work?

4. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Not if you got the phone subsidized. That would work if you'd bought the phone outright.

5. evild

evild Member

They let me cancel my Blackberry data plan after 3 months, that was 2 years ago, don't think thats an option now thou

6. mulletcutter

mulletcutter Well-Known Member

You can change your phone on the website, change it to a phone that sucks....well doesn't need internet.and you should be able to remove data plan

7. Barrios35

Barrios35 New Member

Tell them you lost the phone and see what happens. I know you can do it on the AT&T. Bud lost his Iphone and they dropped him off data.

8. nanophlame

nanophlame Member

Not to thread-jack the OP, but I was curious. I currently have a phone without a data plan, just Unlimited Talk + Text. Can I buy a MyTouch 3g, say off of this forum, and use my Sim Card that I have now without having to pay for Data? T-Mobile won't just activate data will they?

9. gwcaton

gwcaton Well-Known Member

you have to have the data plan to activate the phone then call the next day and cancel it . You'll be good to go.

10. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

Eventually they'll detect your phone and you might incur past charges. LIke most said, if your phone is subsidized you can't change it

That's why Even More Plus plan FTW

I had to send in my Behold II to get repaired and I had them turn off data until I got it back. Basically they take it off your plan and you have to call in and sign up for it again.

11. Chidori602

Chidori602 Well-Known Member

I'm friends with the manager at my local tmo store and he told that if I lost my mt3g they could take the data plan off.