MyTouch 3G on AT&T?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by metalmilitia, Oct 31, 2010.

1. metalmilitia

metalmilitia New Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Hey guys, im new here. I may buy a new MyTouch 3G from ebay that is rooted with Cyanogen 6.0 so its running Android 2.2 and its unlocked. This would be my first Android device ever. If i buy it unlocked and just stick my SIM card in it, will it start working right away, or will i need to change the APN settings? Also, will AT&T automatically charge my account with a data plan? THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Advertisement
  2. Chidori602

Chidori602 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Male
    I don't know much about At&t, but if the phone is unlocked, then it should work with at&t. About forcing you into a data plan, i don't know eider.

3. dviswa

dviswa New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    I was able to activate my MT3G on AT&T. I had to put in a new APN record, don't remember all the details, but it works. I had temporarily activated a data plan for a day and cancelled it once the phone was working and I was able to use wifi.

4. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
    VIP Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    Phone and messaging will work right off the bat but you need the APN settings for AT&T to start using data. If I remember correctly, CM already comes preloaded with various APNs so it's only a matter of selecting the right one. If not a quick Google search should reward your efforts.

Beware though when some people claim that the phone comes unlocked. Make sure you buy from a reputable ebay seller with high/good feedback

No they won't. As far as they're concerned they have no idea what phone you have so a basic feature phone $10 - $15 data plan will work fine or No data plan at all. Only drawback is that you can only get 2G/Edge speeds

5. dellagd

dellagd New Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Hi, I was also wondering of getting a MyTouch 3G off of ebay unlocked and putting it on at&t.

This is where I currently stand:

1) am currently using a "dumb" phone
    2) I do not believe my contract is up
    3) have no dataplan.

Can I buy the $15 dollar dataplan and just pop my simcard into the unlocked MyTouch, and after maybe some APN settings, am I in the clear?

Will at&t get mad at me and make me buy the $30 data plan? I gotten a lot of mixed input across the internet.

I thought I might as well give my current position just to clarify if it will work.

6. aggie00

aggie00 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    I use the cheap data plan on AT&T on the 3g slide. For the APN...
    Name: whatever you choose
    APN: wap.cingular
    Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    This will get you a data plan with at&t if you want to use it other than with wifi. Works wonderfully for my husband and I b/c at&t has no idea what phone you are using since it is unlocked and not branded at&t.
    Good Luck!!

7. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
    VIP Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    I've been using the $15 unlimited plan for months now with no problems.