MyTouch 3g question

Last Updated:

1. larryccf

larryccf Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 14, 2009
    got my MyTouch off ebay - 3 months old, only had it a week. I bought it mainly for faster 3g download speeds (i've downloaded pdanet to be able to use it as a modem for my laptop on the road). But even here at home (Richmond, VA where T-mobile shows we've got 3G coverage) I'm experiencing the below. And for the record, i can see a cell tower less than 900 ft from my back window.

question #1) - i'm only noticing download speeds slightly quicker than my Samsung T639 (clamshell phone). The 3G symbol shows up in my navigation bar (at the top) with both up/down arrows lighting up. I've got the unlimited data plan. Is it possible T-Mobile has limited me to 2G or Edge network speeds? (my account data usage last month was 1467 mb, so I doubt i've exceeded my 10G data limit one week into the new billing period

question #2 - reason I ask the above, I was told 3G would allow me to use as a modem as well as voice calls at same time, and mine won't. If I'm surfing, and make a call, web access stops, and then when the call is finished, the pdanet icon on laptop will show it's disconnected. I have to go to pdanet icon on the phone, disconnect the USB tether, then reconnect and then go back to laptop and "connect" on the pdanet icon there

appreciate any input, in advance

2. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Hmmmm, if you're showing the 3G icon in the taskbar, that should mean you're on the 3G network. Otherwise, you'd be showing an E or a G. Doubt that T-Mobile would be limiting you. I haven't really heard a case of it yet. Also, the tower near you might not necessarily be sending out a 3G signal. Might wanna try and get a smart Tech person from T-Mo on the phone.