Mytouch fender rooted when purchased

Last Updated:

1. brokenrose72

brokenrose72 Member This Topic's Starter

Had an issue with my fender mytouch last night and called T-mobile

The tech support guy said the phone was rooted when I gave him this info!
    Firmware 1.6
    Baseband
    62.50.sc.20.17u_2.22.23.02
    Kernel
    2.6.29-g023e5c9
    htc-kernel@and18-2 #3
    Build
    2.08.531.1 cl89293 release-keys

I bought this phone 3 weeks ago brand new and he said that the only thing he could think of is that somehow a developers phone got shipped as new.

How can I tell if it is rooted for sure?
    I have very little knowledge when it comes to rooting!
    Would this make the phone rare?

Advertisement
  2. Takedown

Takedown Member

What issue are you having with it?

I am a noobie to these as well but my Fender has the same numbers you just listed.

3. brokenrose72

Really! I'm beginning to wonder if the fender is different from the regular mytouch? He said the build # should be a number that starts with D. Did your fender come with swype?

4. Takedown

Takedown Member

I was looking for the current build number and noticed mine was different than the regular myTouch, but I bet the new 1.2 will be the same as ours. I don't have Swype.

5. brokenrose72

Also I'm not receiving ota's for things like app updates

6. jfritzs2

jfritzs2 Well-Known Member

Here is a way to check if its rooted, I doubt that it is if you didn't do anything to it. But go to the market and download dropcap2 - (or you can use the app "Barcode Scanner" from the market and scan this QR Code -

[​IMG]
    That'll take you to download it. If you can run it and take screen shots of your phone like the app is designed to do, then you have a rooted phone, I don't know how it got like that, but thats what you have. If it doesn't work, then your phone isn't rooted and you need to call Tmobile back for whatever it is you needed.

7. jfritzs2

Updates for apps aren't automatic by way of OTA, you will be notified that there is an update, but it won't be automatic if that's what you are looking for. Also, my phone is rooted and I still receive these notifications. So that isn't a characteristic of having a rooted phone.

8. cigar3tte

cigar3tte Well-Known Member

Download terminal emulator and run "su". That'll for sure tell you if it's rooted or not. If you get a return "#", then it's rooted. If not rooted, you get "permission denied".

9. Kittyfae

Kittyfae Well-Known Member

10. jfritzs2

Basically, you said you didn't root it, and there is no way a developers phone accidentally got ship in brand new packaging from the factory, so the Tmobile rep you talked to wasn't smart and didn't know about the different processor/build number/yada yada, so call back later and try someone else. I'm sure they are learning about this shortly, but I doubt they are fully briefed on a new version of a phone's internal information like that, so he is probably just used to the old v1.0 which is different. Oh well.