MyTouch, or G1?General

Last Updated:

1. techobsessive

techobsessive Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone, i need help. Im going to (hopefully) getting a android phone in September. But, i don't know which one to get:(
    So its either the G1, or the MyTouch/ion/magic.

Now the G1 has a physical keyboard, which i don't need, but playing with the g1 and the mytouch, i like the keyboard better ( i can type on the thing without looking on my first time.)

But the looks of the mytouch, are just dang nice. The big trackball, the nicer buttons, i lovvve the look of it. And the specs are better.

Now i know the G1 is getting to the end of its life, but thats what XDA is for, so if i get a G1, my first task on the todo list is root
    But for the magic, i can wait just a little.

I reallllllllly can't decide here. I know either way im going to wish i had the other phone once i decide.

Can i have youre thoughts, and opinions?
    Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Well-Known Member

Can't you get one and then exchange it if you think you'd prefer the other?

3. Skaterkid3783

Skaterkid3783 Member

Seems like u want the mytouchg3 so get that i personally like the g1 a lot more since it has a keyboard

4. techobsessive

Yeah, ive been leaning on the mytouch, (i would really prefer the hero actually, but importing a phone for 600 dollars, is pretty stupid to me.) So i think i'll go with the mytouch. And i hope the lack of a physical keyboard won't kill me.

5. samuelmaskell

Hero roms are getting more and more stable/functional. I'm using one as we speak and I hardly have any complaints.

6. mhurricane266

mhurricane266 New Member

Theres an htc keyboard that available thats more spaced out than the default one that comes on the phone...It even has the option to use the t9 texting with the phonepad like display...I had the g1 in November and I now have the my touch but im enjoying the touch much better...(doesnt hurt thats its not bad too look at) I never really knew just how ugly the g1 was until later on.I got caught up in all the hype and fooled myself into liking the look of it when I really hated it.

7. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

I have been forcing myself to use the on-screen keyboard lately on my G1. I'd like my next phone to be small enough to live in my pocket. It's very hard not to use the G1's real keyboard...

I'm curious to see if future Android versions with gestures and voice recognition really help eliminate the need for a physical keyboard.

8. techobsessive

Yeah, i think the keyboard will improve once we get multitouch..:D
    And i wish the Mytouch had a 3.5mm headphone, but you can't ask for it all!
    But i realllllly can't wait to get a android phone. And the mytouch seems to be alittle faster than the g1.

9. samuelmaskell

How would multi-touch help the keyboard?

If they could get voice recognition to really work well everywhere that would be awesome. I do find that voice search does work quite well but it's still not perfect and that's just the first step.

10. techobsessive

I'm not sure, but it does help. :D