Mytouch4g or G2?

Last Updated:

1. durps

durps Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I might be moving to T-mobile soon and saw that they're doing a "BOGO" on select phones. Which one should I go for? Can someone let me know their experiences with each one? How does the 800mhz processor run on the G2? The G2 works on hspa+ right?
    I know I should pick the phone by preferences, but I want a reliable phone as well. The front-facing camera is cool, but something I don't really need. I really do like the G2's keyboard.
    So just let me know how each phone has treated you, THANKS!

Advertisement
  2. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

I already got the sense you are liking the G2. Why not just go for it? Both are excellent choices, this goes down to your subjectivity and personal feel.

3. durps

I am, but I want to know if the 800mhz processor is a drawback.
    The G2 runs on the hspa+ network, right?

Oh! and does "4g" cost more on t-mo?

4. Guamguy

Both have second generation Snapdragons. The 800MHz one is by itself, faster than the previous generation 1 GHz Snapdragon. Lets put it another way. The G2 smokes the Nexus One, Droid Incredible, and the EVO.

But of course, second generation with 1GHz goes even faster. Putting it another way, the MyTouch 4G is currently the fastest HTC branded phone you will find in the US, with the G2 on the second spot.

Another issue is if you like the HTC Sense, or the modified version of it for T-Mo especially, vs. the vanilla Android on the G2.

durps likes this.
  5. durps

That clears up a lot of things for me, now I'm really leaning over to the G2 :D

But can you confirm that the G2 uses their hspa network for me?

6. durps

Anyone else wanna give me some feedback on these 2 phones?

7. CptGemini

CptGemini Well-Known Member

I remember reading about the G2 having a builtin rootkit. I think I read the article off of the BBR site so IMO avoid that one.

8. Guamguy

Yes, both these phones actually.

9. trav2001

trav2001 Well-Known Member

I've played with both phones at a T-Mobile store. I've already got the MyTouch 3G Slide and I LOVE, LOVE the custom Sense UI for it. I went to T-Mobile just to play with the phones (as I do from time to time). Here are my opinions.

G2 - Can't stand the way the "slider" part moves. To me it seems extremely filmsy and weak, and in my line of work, i'd probably break it. Other than that, the phone is pretty sweet. It's fast and has a TON to offer.

MyTouch 4G - Right off the bat: INCREDIBLE! The phone is super fast and rocks apples man. Makes my current MyTouch look like the hand-me-down version of the horrible Behold 2.

One more option might be the Samsung Vibrant - That phone is sweet too. I lost a lot of respect for Samsung tho with the Behold 2, but the Vibrant was me over again. It's fast and efficient, and honestly to me, the version of TouchWiz 3.0 on that phone is flat out awesome. Plus I personally still don't think any other phone out there can beat its Super AMOLED screen.

Anyway just some of my 2 cents worth.

durps likes this.
  10. durps

Ughh, still don't know which one to go for. I went to the t-mo store today after work to mess around with both but they didn't have a real G2 to use and the entire time I used the MyTouch, the sales rep was breathing down my neck about starting the contract and stuff so I didn't really even get to enjoy it.
    And the Vibrant is cool, but it won't be able to connect to the hspa+ network. I know now it's not that good, but over time it'll get better. Is t-mo a reliable carrier for actual calls?

11. pWndYke

pWndYke Banned

If you want speed then definitely go with the 4g.

12. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

I think the I would go with the mytouch 4g, the processor is a beast... also like Sense.

13. Ngo93

Ngo93 Well-Known Member

I'd probably say it comes down to if you really want a physical keyboard or not. Question though, does the mytouch 4g have a dual processor? I was hearing some things about that..

14. Don Diddles

Don Diddles Active Member

I just got the G2, the keyboard did it for me. I for some reason don't like the new design of the myTouch. They had it right the first time then they lost me with the slide and 4G. But anyway like this guy said ^. Think about the keyboard vs touch screen.

15. Guamguy

MyTouch 3G is still a single core processor, but its a second generation Snapdragon. Compared to the G2, its 1GHz, not 800Mhz.

You're basically choosing between that extra 200MHz and HTC Sense vs. the keyboard and the raw Android look.

16. mountainboy

mountainboy New Member

I started with the G2 last month for a couple weeks- it was before HTC updated it, so it was EXTREMELY crashy. It was my first experience with Android- I really wanted a phone with a keyboard, turned out I didn't really use it- it turned into more of a novelty for me and the fact that the phone was 2 pieces, it just felt really fragile. It was really bulky in my pocket, which wasn't a big big deal as I carried it in a pouch on my belt all week long while at work. I really do miss the sensor pad notification light (like the Nexus 1 trackball) and a really sweet sepia background pic of Yosemite that was on it (Yosemite is pretty much in my backyard). When I went to trade it in for the MT4G it was game over! I got the black 4G and it is as close to sexy as a phone can get, fits perfect in my pocket, love the genius button- hate the my modes crap. I rooted my phone and got rid of alot of the bloatware and am now using launcher pro plus, widget locker and all kinds of other goodies, plus I have it overclocked to just under 1.4- this thing SCREAMS! even stock, I noticed a difference over the 800mhz G2. The 4G has a stock flashlight app which is nice- I used Tesla LED for the G2. The 4G has an FM radio stock (awesome!). I wasn't sure I'd like the physical buttons (home, back, menu, genius) but I prefer them because I kept accidentally hitting the haptic sensor ones on the G2. The G2 also had a really nice desk clock screensaver- it was nice and dim as a night clock- the 4G even on dim is still fairly bright, but I got the bedside app- problem solved. Lets see, what else.... the G2 used to get very very hot when I made phone calls, used it for any extended period or charged it, I mean really hot- I had to hold the phone from the top side to avoid the heat on the lower back, the 4G gets fairly warm under similar conditions, but not bad- with the app I use for monitoring the temp- the highest I've seen it get is 100- once (after a long session of angry birds), normally the hottest it'll get is 94 to 96 degrees (I didn't have the temp app for the G2, but if I had to guess, I'd say it would reach 105-110 on a normal basis). The 4G also has 'pocket mode' which will make the phone ring louder when it senses it's in your pocket or a case- it also has the option to quickly decrease the ringer volume when you pick it up. The 4G has the 3 mag sensors on the side for the docks that will come later- I'm really looking forward to those, but in the mean time, if I have my thumb or finger covering more than one of them the phone will go into desk clock mode (can be really annoying). Thats my 2 cents from personal experience- hope it helps. :)

durps likes this.
  17. pantlesspenguin

pantlesspenguin Well-Known Member

I too have had great experiences with the MT4G. I got it coming from a Vibrant that had GPS issues even after the update.

I really can't say enough about this phone. It really has everything one could want from a phone. Build quality is amazing, the phone is speedy, and everything just works.