N.E.A.K. Gingerbread kernel (v1.x)

Last Updated:

1. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

I'm sticking with neak today and try siyah tomorrow for comparison.
    Very pleasantly surprised with 1.3.2! Good job Simone.

Advertisement
  2. simone201

simone201 Well-Known Member

Thanks mate! ;)

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk
  3. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

Simone, can I ask is the MC_sched enabled by default.
    Does enabling/disabling create a file? If so which one is this please.

Edit: Answered on xda. Cheers mate.
  4. Sydney99

Sydney99 Well-Known Member

What's happened to his rom? Sorry if I'm behind the times!
  5. simone201

simone201 Well-Known Member

We're working on it very hard...;)

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk
    Sydney99 likes this.
  6. Sydney99

Sydney99 Well-Known Member

Thanks buddy. Know it's bad form to pressure a dev. I'm sure you're working very hard, just have not been checking the forums for a while so wanted to make sure I hadn't missed out ;)
  7. Kuragari

Kuragari Active Member

I'm seeing pretty good things for 1.3.2 so far. It's the only kernel that I've run on 100Mhz - 800Mhz (stock voltages) that didn't have a fairly noticeable amount of stutter to it.

Initially I was running it with lulzactive on the vr scheduler, but changed over to noop and noticed that its active usage seems to drop slower. vr scheduler was literally dropping battery percentage before my eyes at an alarming rate. The feeling I get from using this current setup is better than I've gotten from any other kernel so far. Active usage drain in my opinion is so much more important than standby battery drain, albeit harder to measure. To each his own I guess, but the way I see it, what's the point in being able to standby for a week if everytime you turn the screen on it feels like you're leaking battery fluid.

Great work Simone, I think I've found my first kernel that I'd actually like to stick to for a while! :)

Edit:
    I think it's fair to say I'm a heavy user, so I'm pretty happy with these results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. glore2002

glore2002 Well-Known Member

Hello hawker!

Thanks for all your posts. They are always very helpful.
    Following your guides, I now have CheckRom v4, Siyah kernel 2.6.11 and LP6 modem. I made all Voltage Control settings, etc. The system runs fine but I would like to try N.E.A.K 1.3.2 as I guess it can take more out of my battery.

Please, share with me the results of the comparison you made between Siyah and N.E.A.K.

So, please, let me know the steps I should follow to install it. Up to now, I've downloaded the .zip file and I will copy it to my phone internal SD.
    What wipes, cleaning scripts should I use before flashing the new kernel and what about the configuration I've made with 2nd Core and Voltage control? May I leave them the same?

Many questions. I don't want to "brick" your mind :)
    Thanks from Argentina,
    glore2002.-
  9. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

NEAK 1.3.2 v Siyah 2.6.11 is a close call.
    Both are very VERY good kernels and you will not go far wrong with either.
    The reasons I am sticking with NEAK at the moment are :
    1. I prefer the NEAK CWM Recovery to the Hyperdoid version of Siyah. I find the red text difficult to read.
    2. I'm getting better battery life on NEAK. Typically I get approx 0.5% per hour overnight drain, whereas on Siyah, it is more like 0.8% - 1%

Download my kernel cleaning scripts from here

Flash the cleaning script (either will do, but GS2Blitzer is more suitable if you are changing kernels completely)

Then flash the NEAK zip file

As you are already on CheckROM/LP6 modem/Siyah you are obviously familiar with how to flash via CWM so I won't teach you how to suck eggs by explaining how to do this.

I would forget any voltage control settings initially, as what works for one kernel on one individual's handset may not behave as well on another kernel.
    Once your running on NEAK defaults, I would then begin to consider Voltage Control tweaks.
  10. glore2002

Thanks again hawked! I flashed N.E.A.K 1.3.2 after flashing script GS2Wiper. I would really appreciate if you could help me now setting up lulzactive, voltage control and 2nd Core (this one if necessary).

CWM is also giving me an error message saying it needs CF-Root v5 or newer. Is it possible to fix this?
    The only words I can say are "Thanks, thanks and thanks". Your posts are helping me a lot.
  11. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

Forget lulzactive app and forget 2nd core
    focus on VC settings. A start point is to knock off 50mV on each step and test.
    generally I put 100 and 200 mHz to 850mv
    also try setting GPU low lower to 100Mhz and 800mV. Put back to original settings if this causes you trouble.

I've having best results on neak with conservative/noop with sched_mc enabled (done so through the neak menu in CWM recovery)
  12. glore2002

To see if I understood correctly: You do both things. Setting conservative and sched_mc in recovery (I already did that) and you also lower the voltages starting from 50mV each (all of them). For instance: 1200Mhz to 1200mV.

GPU Low power rate to 100 and 800. No changes to High performance and Charging current which are at 750; 650 and 550 respectively..
    In Menu General i/o scheduler is set at vr and lulzactive as governor

After that I save (init.d checked).

Is that OK?

To end: Are you using any kind of battery saver such as JC besides this settings or not recommend them at all? I'm not using any of those right now.

Thank you again!
  13. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

My u/v on this kernel are:
    Been running on these for days now with no issues whatsoever.
    I've set them even lower with some success, but prone to occasional SOD's. these are my most stable settings to date.
    glore2002 likes this.
  14. Kuragari

Kuragari Active Member

Hawker do you use anything in particular to test your undervolting settings or just in due course of using the phone? I've now done some very slight undervolting taking 25 off each level, since I've never undervolted before.
  15. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

generally speaking I will apply a basic undervolt set that i'm confident will work initially. You will get a feel for how much you can push certain kernels.
    I will then try pushing it harder by u/v one step at a time by perhaps 25mv
    I'll test this step for a while on general use, so play music, videos, browsing, etc.
    Also during the test remember to leave the phone on idle several times to make sure it's waking up from deep sleep properly.

If all seems will with no freezes I'll save the settings for boot.
    I always save vc settings as init.d script. This way I can keep a copy and restore it if I require at a later date.
    Its also safer this way in case things go wrong as you can flash a vc zip to remove its settings. This only works on settings saved as init.d script, so you will always have this as your get out of jail card.
    Kuragari likes this.
  16. Kuragari

Kuragari Active Member

Thanks that makes sense :)

Just a question on keeping a copy of the vc settings for later use, how does one go about doing that?
  17. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

Use the profile manager in the paid version, or manually copy /system/etc/init.d/S91voltctrl out to somewhere using Root Explorer or similar
    Kuragari likes this.
  18. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

I save all my settings in Voltage Control profiles. See screenshot:-

[​IMG]
    glore2002 likes this.
  19. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Well-Known Member

Rudedawg dumb question of the day
    .... Running NEAK 1.3.2 , experiencing some weird phone lock ups but that happened on siyah also so considered my battery options.
    [​IMG]

Arnt i supposed to see more governors than this? Does NEAK not have conservative ? Never seen this Lionheart governor also. Something I need to add elsewhere?
  20. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

You have to turn conservative/lionheart on in recovery mode.
    Rudedawg likes this.
  21. ironass

Go to Recovery > NEAK options to enable Conservative, Lionheart, etc: :D
    Rudedawg likes this.
  22. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Well-Known Member

Got it . Thanks guys.
  23. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

Ninja'd
  24. ironass

Only on 1st bloody coffee... give me a break! :D

I'm loving this N.E.A.K. 1.3.2... its blooming gorgeous.

If I was forced to compare this to Siyah 2.6.11, I'd have to say that this baby has the edge for me in terms of performance and battery... which is saying something, as Siyah is pretty darn good.
  25. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

I accept cash or cheque butty.
    :)