n00b question (moto droid)

Do you think i'm going to figure this out?

Poll closed Jun 19, 2010.
  1. yes

88.9%
  2. no

11.1%

Last Updated:

1. GatorMark08

GatorMark08 Member This Topic's Starter

i am brand new to the android phone phenomenon. I am somewhat knowledgeable with computers and linux. I have a Motorola Droid 2.1 and would like to root it. i'm having some trouble finding instructions. if anyone knows of a good place to look or you yourself would be willing to work with me i'd be grateful. thanks.

Advertisement
  2. s1ckGhost

s1ckGhost Well-Known Member

3. GatorMark08

yeah i did see it. i'm just having some trouble i put the update.zip onto my sd card and when i boot into that selections menu and select it, it unzips and says file corrupted and makes me boot into normal mode. is it because i'm running an unrooted 2.1?

4. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

Are you renaming the file "update.zip" or just to "update"?

Depending upon the version of Windows you're using, the .zip part is done automatically. So if you rename the file "update.zip" Windows thinks the file is "update.zip.zip". This happened to me when I first rooted - I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium. Try renaming it to just "update" and see if that works for you.

5. GatorMark08

i've currently got windows xp premium, and yeah i'm labeling it update.zip. i've also got a ubuntu machine i could try this on? i had some trouble finding a update.zip download. most of the links are broken/ dead ends.

6. droidftw

droidftw Well-Known Member