N00b Questions before buying HELP

Last Updated:

1. jegordon23

jegordon23 Member This Topic's Starter

So im switching to ATT tomorrow...and found a pretty nice deal on the captivate, but just want to know all the cool features about it. It's pretty much this or the BB 9700

I also want to know how/if i can get like a theme like this without rooting my phone?
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but that looks like fancy widget with battstat ? It's doable without rooting

jegordon23 likes this.
  3. XTheEnthusiastX

XTheEnthusiastX Active Member

I'll tell you EXACTLY what it is.
    1) Clock/weather widget is "Beautiful widgets" (~$1.92 in marketplace) with "droidflip" clock skin and "boca" weather skin.
    2) UI is LauncherPro (free in Marketplace) with "Froyo wide" dock background and the Android notification bar at the top hidden.

And yes, this home screen can be obtained without rooting and/or sideloading.

jegordon23 likes this.
  4. jegordon23

is there a way to get like the droid interface, so i don't have the weird samsung interface for like the menu screen without rooting it?

how hard is rooting for the average pc user, i jailbroke my itouch before, and that was kind off hard, is there any VERY easy instructions on how to do it?

5. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

there are 1 click versions to root. all you do is plug it into your pc, open a program and it does all the work. doesnt get any easier

jegordon23 likes this.
  6. jegordon23

Whats the program called?

7. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

8. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member

Most droids have either Motorola's blur interface or HTC's sense interface which are both a bit (not much) different than Samsung's touchwiz. There isn't really an easy way to replace touchwiz with Sense or Blur. You would need a new Rom with these features and anyone who created it would be sued by the other companies. You may be able to find a ROM that has the vanilla android interface. But there is a much simpler solution.

The LauncherPro application provides its own homescreen interface. You don't need to have root to install it, its just a normal application. When you hit the home button it will ask you if you want to use LauncherPro or Touchwiz.

I have LauncherPro installed and I like it. I also liked touchwiz. I actually liked the Samsung widgets like Daily Briefing and the friend dialer. I think the launcher pro applicaiton screen is faster to navigate.

9. WirelessMike

WirelessMike Member

I like the Daily Briefing widget, too. I was hoping I could find a way to add it to my phone with launcherpro... No success yet (not in market).