N00b to rooting here, PLEASE help!!!- ZTE Merit

1. AtomicLlama

AtomicLlama Member

So i've read a few of the threads on Rooting my phone, and other people have had good results with the directions given, but I am TOTALLY new to Smart Phones and have NO idea what I'm doing. So if someone could just take a few minutes to read over the ZTE Merit Rooting instructions, and walk me through it that would be awesome.

Sincerely,
    Atomic Llama:confused:

Advertisement
  2. Russ71

Russ71 Well-Known Member

In a thread by jcase, here in this forum, he does just that. Search zte Merit and you should get it. I have the Avail but didn't root using adb.
  3. AtomicLlama

AtomicLlama Member

I have ZERO experience with rooting. He doesn't put his directions in terms that i can grasp. I need someone to explain to me what i'm doing and where. Am i doing this ON my phone, or on a computer. Do i DOWNLOAD the zip file? What do i do if it won't download? What do i do after? Where do i go on my device to follow these steps?

Do you see my problem? This is all very frustrating. I have no idea what i'm doing, in the least.
  4. Motorhead1991

Motorhead1991 Well-Known Member

Do this from your computer (Windows). Download the zip and unzip it to an easily accessable place. Once your folder is all set, open cmd (command prompt) and type:

$ cd \location\of\zip

$ adb (typing adb should bring up a list of commands)

$ adb devices (this should bring up: list of devices attached P736T_TF)

Follow the instructions from there.
    CherryGirl205 and AtomicLlama like this.
  5. AtomicLlama

AtomicLlama Member

And how does this relate to my phone exactly? Lol sorry I'm such a simpleton when it comes to things like this, but what i mean is, where does my phone come in to all of this? Do i need to connect it to my computer with a USB?
  6. Motorhead1991

Yes, once adb is working (the list comes up), plug your phone in and use adb devices.
    AtomicLlama likes this.
  7. AtomicLlama

AtomicLlama Member

I don't know how to unzip it. There's no "unzip" option when i right click. (You've underestimated my lack of computer skills.)
  8. AtomicLlama

AtomicLlama Member

Okay, so i've unzipped it and now when i click on it, it asks what i want to use to open it and gives me a list of things like, adobe reader, notepad, paint, etc.
  9. Motorhead1991

Open the command prompt (Windows button + r; type cmd)
  10. AtomicLlama

AtomicLlama Member

This is as far as I've gotten. Do I copy and paste EXACTLY the text that's up there? Or how do I go about putting it in there? I've tried copy and pasting, and it doesn't do anything.

Attached Files:

11. kingmt

kingmt Well-Known Member

Do you know anybody with anybody with some PC skills that could stand beside you & walk you through this. It is as easy to brick your phone as it is to root it.

If not you should read from as many authors as you can find over & over until you understand what is going on before you start. Maybe learn some of the basics first. Even after everything is done with root you can still brick the phone by not knowing what you are doing.

There is a thread on her started by Krystal.
    CherryGirl205 and Russ71 like this.