N1 and Skype VoIP

Last Updated:

1. gdubmedia

gdubmedia Member This Topic's Starter

Sooo...I want a Nexus One. Bad. I have a Moment on Sprint on a family plan with my wife. The only way I could justify getting an N1 with her would be to run a data-only/VoIP option.

I've been reading about the GV/SIP setup, and it seems waaaay to complicated (I could do it if need be though). What I'm looking for is a way to run all my VoIP (in/out calls) through Skype (Fring maybe?) and my texts through GV. Anyone out there know how?

I could also go the Droid route if it's easier over there. This just seems like a fantastic option (if it works well on either phone), and a great way to get out of the whole "2-yr agreement" BS and be free.

Thanks guys!!

Advertisement
  2. McChicken

McChicken Member

have anyone REALLY tried the N1 with the new Fring up-date....I am really interested to know how voice quality over 3G works thanks...( important to me)
    as I have heard that Fring (Skype) voice quality have been been bad

anyone tested new Fring ?
    http://www.fring.com/blog/?p=1921

3. briankh

briankh Well-Known Member

Haven't used on 3G but the WIFI works great.

4. loganss

loganss Active Member

Nimbuzz and Fring worked good for me with Skype. The Fring UI is extra kiddy and doesn't allow much configuration due to their KISS (keep it simple stupid) philosophy.

The GV/SIP setup isn't as bad as some guides make it out to be. I've attempted to provide simpler instructions in my blog (link in my sig). I'd recommend SipAgent or SipDroid for SIP calls. All my calls have been good over WiFi. I haven't made calls through 3G since my N1 isn't linked to a cell phone carrier yet.

5. McChicken

McChicken Member

Thank you loganss.
    I will read you VoIP info...for me the most important is Skype over 3G (yes I am in Europe)
    as I can see if my contacts are on line or not.
    I am on my way of buying a HTC Desire, replacing my old Nokia N95 ( old Super Phone) where I have Fring and Nimbuzz instaled, however the voice quality are far from good over 3G.
    I had a Nokia N900 Maemo for a few weeks and their Skype app worked good but not perfect.
    to finalize, what is the voice quality with Fring/ Nimbuzz over 3G ?

6. outoffocus

outoffocus Well-Known Member

Curious what other people are experiencing. My voip (Skype/Fring) experience on the N1 have been subpar. Can't wait for Skype to finally do voip on Android..

7. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

Skype is a dick company for neglecting other mobile platforms entirely. I cannot believe that they took away skype lite completely (even though I didn't use it) just so that they could give the middle finger to android users outside of verizon.

I promptly called them up and cancelled my subscription/emailed corporate. Everyone should too to put pressure on them. Even if they came out with a wifi only version like the iPhone at least it would be SOMETHING!

Fring/Nimbuzz Skype over 3g is not the greatest... pretty laggy for me so the conversation can get messed up where you hear something, say something back, and the other person is already talking by the time they hear what your saying due to the lag.

GV/Gizmo5 setup was a huge challenge for me. Took me about 4 days and was very frustrating. Sounds great when someone calls you. When you make an outbound call through SIPdroid... pretty much unusable. Have to get online with GV on your computer to initiate the call so that you receive an inbound call instead of making the outbound call through SIPdroid.

Of course... I communicate with text about 90% of the time so I only want crappy VOIP for things like AAA if my car breaks down.

It's all worth it in the end for me since I only pay $35/mo for data compared to my old $70/mo iPhone plan.

8. ccoager

ccoager Well-Known Member

I was hoping to get a data-only plan myself. I run asterisk at home with a SIP provider. I asked around about this and found that 3g latency is too high to be able to do VOIP reliably. Data-only and VOIP on cell phones may not be a reality till 4g comes out.