N1 Future Updates?

Last Updated:

1. Chopes

Chopes Active Member This Topic's Starter

Quick question about updates.

I know it comes with 2.1 but do you think with the problem that google is facing of fragmentation of the android market because of the different firmware versions will impact my ability to upgrade my N1 (next year or whatever) when the next update comes out (so I can use 3.0 on my N1) or will I be screwed and need a new phone to run that FW?

If rooting/roms are something that might allow this, I plan to do everything to the device, root, rom, etc. so please consider that in your response. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. jaymz462

jaymz462 Active Member

The N1 is Google's phone. If anything, it'll get updates before any other phone does.

3. theartfullodger

theartfullodger Well-Known Member

Hope you are right, you just may be..

Unfortunately we are in the hands of a semi-dictatorship that pretty much does what it wants... Google is now one of the world's most powerful corporations (well done lads..amazing achievement) and it is doing what all huge corporations start doing.... worrying about itself first...

So, in reality we have no idea what they'll do with the N1...

But, chances are, N1'll get new stuff early for a bit...

Cheers!

Lodger

PS In 5 years we'll all be saying "Ah, the irony of "Don't be Evil"...

4. nestrapez

nestrapez Active Member

more dots more dots!

5. 150_cav

150_cav Well-Known Member

the nexus should be the first to run froyo and I keep seeing all of these complaints about the Nexus and here is what i think and might be wrong but hear me out, when the Nexus comes to Verizon there will be a Froyo update for the Nexus

Why do i think this?

some of you may have heard that the Verizon's Nexus should "come with a surprise" well i think the "surprise" is froyo and that's why the Nexus hasn't had any updates in a while, idk just a guess

6. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

The way I see it (and hope I'm right!) is that this is the Google Phone, but also Google have shipped a free N1 to most of the Dev's out there.

Therefore I think and hope that it will receive updates early and for a long time to come in order to keep the dev's up to pace with Android.

7. jacobm

jacobm New Member

good read here on the upcoming froyo update the other guys mentioned. N1 (and many other android phones, even with lesser hardware) will be getting future updates for the foreseeable future if google's anti-fragmentation plan works out so I wouldn't worry bout having to buy new hardware to get future android updates. the N1 will be safe for a good long while in terms of updates.