• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

N1 Now or Droid X Later?

nickdog670

Jun 15, 2010
Hello everyone, I have a dilemma! I have heard many great things about Android OS. I have played with a G1 and a myTouch 3G before (my uncle has one) and I have heard many great things about Android, so I believe Android is perfect for me and my needs. The only problem is, I don't know which phone to pick, the Nexus One or the Droid X?

I currently have the opportunity to buy a Nexus One for $100 with everything included, brand new in the box which is really great! The only problem is that I have MetroPCS and I would have to go through the hassle of starting a plan with T-Mobile.

The Droid X caught my eye due to it's similarities with the Evo which I wanted to get on Sprint, but I can't get the Evo because my parents credit is bad and Sprint won't let me join their family plan for another two years. By then a new android phone will propably come out, so I'm skipping the Evo for now. Not only that, I just like the Droid X better.

My birthday is August 29th and I really want a new Android phone, so here are my questions. The Verizon conference is in 3 days, so I'm just wondering should I hold out and wait to see the what they say about the Droid X? Or should I buy the Nexus One? What are the Pros and Cons of each phone and service provider? Which do you think is better? What other phones do you think I should consider? Thanks for reading!

Choose your provider before your phone because if you don't, you will be unhappy. T-Mobile is cheaper than Verizon but Verizon generally has better coverage than T-Mobile. I don't know how service is in your area. For the phones it depends on what you're looking for. Killer features (Droid X) or fast updates (N1). Some people like big phones, others can't deal with them. There's lots of factors in choosing an Android phone which is what makes it so great :)

Upvote 0
Choose your provider before your phone because if you don't, you will be unhappy. T-Mobile is cheaper than Verizon but Verizon generally has better coverage than T-Mobile. I don't know how service is in your area. For the phones it depends on what you're looking for. Killer features (Droid X) or fast updates (N1). Some people like big phones, others can't deal with them. There's lots of factors in choosing an Android phone which is what makes it so great :)

The area right around where I usually hang out with my friends is a T-Mobile dead zone, so maybe I should go with verizon.

100 bucks?! Take it from that fool and and run! You can easily flip it for 500

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk

Haha I was actually considering doing that. Then if I try a Droid X in person and like it, I can buy it. If I don't, I could get the N1 again.

Upvote 0
I remember reading that Metro PCS uses the same CDMA network as sprint. If that is true, you can consider buying the N1, selling it, buying the Evo at full price and having it flashed to Metro PCS. That way you could keep the same prices and coverage you currently have.

You would have to check with your Metro PCS representative first. Would require research on your part.

If T-Mob is bad in your area, don't touch it. How good is a phone if it doesn't work? Find friends who have Verizon, AT&T (another option would be to trade your T-Mo N1 for an AT&T one) and see how good the coverage is.

Coverage/provider should be the most important thing when choosing phones, you can usually find a good phone that works with the best provider for you.

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I remember reading that Metro PCS uses the same CDMA network as sprint. If that is true, you can consider buying the N1, selling it, buying the Evo at full price and having it flashed to Metro PCS. That way you could keep the same prices and coverage you currently have.

True, but Metro doesn't have 3G or 4G yet. Not only that, you have to pay 20 dollars extra every month for smart phones, making it the same cost as a plan from other carriers but without 3G.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones