N1 Screen

Last Updated:

1. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just got my N1 about two hours ago and have been having fun with it and comparing it to my Moto Droid.

I think the thing is great so far, but I think I may like the screen on the Droid a little better.

54 less vertical pixels than Droid. Does not bother me one bit.

The N1 screen can be extremely bright which I like.

White looks better on the N1. White on the Droid is a bit yellow.

I think the text quality / readability of very small fonts is better on the Droid.

This is a bit hard to describe, but with text on the N1 it seems I can see individual 'pixels' whereas on the Droid the text looks smoother.

Worst bit... in portrait mode on some websites, I can see what appears to be a 'shadow' that continues on after a line of text. Tried a number of different sites. I'm in the GMail app right now and can't see it, though, so it may just be in the browser. Landscape is fine. This is probably a case of my OCD going into overdrive.

Have any other Droid & N1 users found anything similar?

Advertisement
  2. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a refresh rate thing when it comes to the "ghosting" effect. Also, since LCD has back-lighting, it's probably some bleed that "fills in" the gaps between pixels. And it's not 54 less vertical pixels, it's 54 x 480 (or ~26,000 pixels) missing from the N1 screen. But this also means one other thing: pixel density. 26,000 more pixels squeezed into the same 3.7" diagonal means tighter pixel density. Same reason 1080p looks "crisper" on a 42" screen compared to the same 1080 lines on a 55" up at the same distance. Since you hold both phones the same relative distance, the DROID with higher pixel density is going to look slightly better.

I didn't catch it at first, but you mentioned OCD which is probably why you even caught these details about the screen. I felt the same way when shopping for TVs. The majority of consumers are not going to notice the differences in crispness at the size these screens are :)

3. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Me and my OCD have been spending time comparing text on the same websites between phones. Text on the Droid is absolutely more legible at the smallest text size. It's readable on the N1, but painful to do so.

The other interesting this is that Engaget was actually right about something... Orange on the N1 display is extremely vivid.

4. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

People really like vivid and over-saturation in pictures/photos. That's one of the things people like most about the pictures taken by the iPhone is the default output is very saturated. However, over-saturation doesn't necessarily equate to color accuracy. I think it would be awesome if one day, as these phones' displays get better and better that the user will have more control in adjustment, besides brightness. Like you would with an HDTV. A properly calibrated HDTV panel is a far cry from its preset "vivid" setting.