N1 using 3 Mobile in UK?

Last Updated:

1. jimboDK

jimboDK Member This Topic's Starter

HI All,

Anyone else here got, or planning to gt a 3 Mobile enabled N1 in the UK? I currently have a cheapo contract...

Advertisement
  2. afonja

afonja Well-Known Member

A week ago they had

3. Rix

Rix Banned

I have the

4. theartfullodger

theartfullodger Well-Known Member

I'm on SIM only (

5. jimboDK

Cheers Chaps,

The roaming use is a really key feature for this phone for me, so I may just fork out for it.

Until then, can anyone confirm that when using the WiFi in my own house will not incur any data charges?

6. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

I believe there might be a small chance your phone might do some mobile data bits without your knowledge. There are a number of apps you can download to ensure this never happens including Quick Settings and.. um.. is it PDAnet or something?

You can also get something similar like NetCounter which will allow you to set alarms for specific data usage to give you a warning if you do start using the data without realising.

jimboDK likes this.
  7. Soupdragon

Soupdragon Well-Known Member

My experience so far when using phone in the house (or other place where you've already given it permission to connect to a particular wifi zone) is that it switches off 3g and defaults to wifi.
    I'm not a heavy phone user - I bought a 3UK sim-only card(

jimboDK likes this.
  8. ROBIN50N

ROBIN50N Well-Known Member

9. Soupdragon

Yes, very easy to set up, I used the settings from the post in the 3 forum on this site and they worked immediately with no tweaking required.

And yes; as far as I am aware I've full access - certainly I've not not been able to find and/or load anything mentioned and from what I can see there seem to be thousands and thousands of them - when amusing myself by browsing thru' them I get fed up long before I reach the end :rolleyes:

ROBIN50N likes this.
  10. ROBIN50N

ROBIN50N Well-Known Member

thanks for that:)

11. jimboDK

Grand. I'll keep surfing indoors with impunity then and do an external navigation test.

I'll go for a drive somewhere with one of the Nav apps on and when I get home, check my data usage charges on my profile for the 3 Mobile website. From this I should be able to gauge whether it's cheaper to go for the

12. afonja

afonja Well-Known Member

2jimboDK

Don't do that!!! It might cost you well above

13. jimboDK

Thanks for the concern, but I'll keep it to less than 10 miles! Is it really that pricey?

14. afonja

afonja Well-Known Member

Web/Data Charge* - 30p per MB
    so if for example you gonna use Google maps(use data connection all the time) to navigate - it will be quite costy...

15. soupy

soupy New Member

Not sure how it compares but since I last checked my usage I've used 11mb and that includes 17 mins of mapping using cardiotrainer as well as some surfing.

16. jimboDK

And are you on a fixed fee/month or

17. Soupdragon

Apologies, soupy and soupdragon are the same person, I had log-in problems so created a "new me". Sorry for the confusion, I should have said.

18. jimboDK

Ahhh... identity crisis! Is this a side effect of the Android OS? ;)

I did a test on the train today while commuting in (was getting some strange looks from those with iPhones, possibly Android envy). The results were not what I expected. I switched on roaming and used a couple of Geo-aware apps, Geomondo and GPS Test. They both started working as soon as they tracked a few satellites. Then when I turned off roaming they kept on tracking the satellites and returning GPS info. I was a little worried by this so powered the phone down. When I came in and checked my data usage on 3, it showed no cost at all incurred! How is this possible?

19. Rix

Rix Banned

Roaming is about data use. If you go to where your provider (3) doesn't have towers your phone would connect to different companies tower (if roaming is enabled). Lots of companies charge insane amounts of money for using data while roaming. It has nothing to do with GPS. Turn roaming off (and leave it off) if you don't want a massive bill you weren't expecting.

20. jimboDK

OK, this is making more sense now. That explains why my phone is currently showing me being connected to Orange! So I should get data for things like maps etc when I am in a 3 Mobile area and not be charged for it?