N1 vs. Droid a few ??s

Last Updated:

1. nasr91

nasr91 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,
    I am a complete newbie...What is the difference between the two phones?
    I had the droid for a week and took it back and got a BB as that is what I am used to. Partly becuase I am a huge texter and I have to be able to text one handed with my thumb. And the droid was not good for that.
    So is the N1 good for texting one handed? also is there a way to privately message another person (not text) another person like the BBM ?
    Any general info would be great...and please use small words.....lol
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. JSchu22

JSchu22 Well-Known Member Contributor

If you weren't a fan of the Droid over a BB then you wont prefer the Nexus One. Also, no there unfortunately isn't an option similar to BBM unless you consider one of the instant messaging providers as one.

3. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member

texting one handed with sywpe keyboard is amazingly simple. but IMO this is also the best android keyboard(largely screen size)...and dang, it also has speech input. :eek:

i use google talk like bbm. I had a blackberry and was using gtalk more anyways, plus the conversations are stored in your gmail inbox for access anytime.

4. nasr91

Thanks guys
    I feel stupid for asking but what is sywpe? And can/could I chat privatly (not sms texts) with someone on a bb or between other phones?

5. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

6. JoeIndy

JoeIndy Member

There's no equivalent to BlackBerry Messenger on any other platform, to my knowledge (unless SideKick does device to device IM). You'll need to use text message or one of the instant message services. Google Talk is built into the Android OS, and a Google Talk application is available for BlackBerry.

Going from the physical keyboard to the virtual one will take some time. And it may be rough in the beginning. But, in exchange for that pain you gain all the other pluses of the Android OS. Specifically for me was the applications and the web browsing abilities that are better than the BlackBerry. If you use your phone to send e-mails and texts and that's all... stick with the BlackBerry.

7. nasr91

Guys.........THANKS !!!
    So for the messinging I/we could use googletalk between the two phones? He's has a BB as do I at this time but we want to be able to chat privately between us without sms text. Now is there a messinging way it we both had the Droid or N1?

I loved alot of things about the Droid the week that I had it but texting was a real issue and in all honestly the phone may have been to smart for me.!

I wish I had known about the swype before looks like that would have helped!.

One more question..the Droid did not feel good in my hand it felted cluncky for lack of another word....how does the N1 compare? is there any stores who have the N1 where I can go and play with it or is it only online?

Thanks Again guys...youve been very helpful!

8. JoeIndy

JoeIndy Member

Google Talk is an instant messaging service (like AIM). It works on many different platforms, but it travels over the Internet. If you both have Google Talk on your phones, you can send messages to each other via your data connection.

Nexus One is slightly thinner and slightly lighter than an iPhone. It's more svelte than the Droid. Nexus One is only sold via Google's web site, and isn't available in stores.