N5 Activation on SprintGeneral

1. angus242

angus242 Active Member

Seems like Sprint is having trouble activating the N5.

Any N5 bought via Google Play will work on Sprint's network. You will need a Sprint SIM card. I've read reports that an S4 SIM will work. You can order one from Sprint. Again, mixed results with getting a CS rep that will help you. Looks like most successful results have been via International Chat. That's what I used and the process was quick and painless. I paid $12 for overnight shipping. Otherwise 3-5 day ground is free. The SIM is no charge as well.

As for activation, I'm hearing mixed results. Folks with a SIM are seemingly able to activate the 16GB version. That's all the Sprint is selling and the assumption is the MEIN's for 16GN N5's are already in the Sprint database. Most folks are having trouble activating the 32GB versions. I have read about at least 1 person who was able to activate their 32GB ver.

I have a 32GB arriving tomorrow and the SIM coming on Wednesday. We'll see how hard the activation process is. I'm not looking forward to this :(

Advertisement
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I was told by both sprint and Google support I could simply walk in and get a Sim card and get the phone activated.
  3. angus242

angus242 Active Member

The phone will (eventually) be activated.

As for walking into a store, I'd call first. I have not read a single account of a person finding one in stock in a Sprint store. While I'm sure some stores do have them, it doesn't seem Sprint is quite ready for the onslaught of folks that have purchased from Google Play.

I'm still reading mixed results from people being able to successfully activate even with a SIM card. Seems to be a Sprint database issue.
  4. brad3813

brad3813 Member

I went to the sprint store today, but they weren't able to activate the phone . They said to try again on Friday when they start selling them in store. I've read a lot online since, and it seems like a much bigger issue. Not sure if this will be worked out or not.

A thread on Sprint's site says they are working on it, but someone else got a response from Google that said the 32 GB won't currently work with sprint and they are not sure if or when it will.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  5. Rxpert83

I'm on support with them (Sprint) now. I'm gonna blow up if I spent $450 after they confirmed for me the device would work on their network. :(
  6. Rxpert83

Here's to hoping they know what they're talking about
  7. angus242

angus242 Active Member

Seems completely logical to me that the 32GB MEIN's aren't fully populated in the Sprint database yet.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  8. Rxpert83

As long as it can activate "soon", I'm fine. But if I'm waiting in limbo for months like Verizon Nexus 7 users somethings gonna go. :)
  9. angus242

angus242 Active Member

I'm reading that 32GB N5's are now activating on Sprint. :D
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  10. s2k

s2k Member

I cant active my 16gb. Called Sprint and gave them the IMEI number and they said they cant do it. Is there a SIM card in my HTC One and can I just take that out and place it in the Nexus and it will work?
  11. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

It sounds like you just got an bad rep, I'd try again or visiting a corporate store.
  12. s2k

s2k Member

I called the 888 number twice and tried 2 different reps and both had no idea. I called a corporate store and they have never heard of the phone. Will try calling more stores in the area.
  13. brad3813

brad3813 Member

Yes, you should be able to take the sim from the One and put it in the nexus 5, but you still need to go through the activation process. I did it online via chat and was able to get my 32GB activated this morning.
  14. brad3813

brad3813 Member

Update: I was able to get my white 32 GB activated this morning. I took the sim from a broken S4 and activated online via chat with sprint customer service. It went very smooth and only took about 10 minutes.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  15. s2k

s2k Member

I called Sprint from my cell number on my HTC One. They were able to active my Nexus. I can make calls and have 3g on my Nexus. I'm not sure if 4g is working or not. I took out the UICC Sim card from my HTC and placed it in the Nexus after i got off the phone with Sprint.
  16. rangergrrl

rangergrrl Well-Known Member

Just got done at the Sprint store. Initially they indicated no issues with activation. They then asked where I got the phone and I said Google. After that the story was different. They had UICC cards but they were
    reserved for phones purchased from them and they wouldn't be doing any non sprint N5 activations until they we sure they had enough for phones shipping Nov. 8 and on....
  17. angus242

angus242 Active Member

That's weird. Wouldn't the phones bought from Sprint already have a UICC
    installed? Surely a store wouldn't be the location shipping would happen from.

I'm not buying that.
  18. amarie82

amarie82 Guides Guide

We have been told that you can get the Sims from stores or another department over the phone. If a store is refusing to assist I would call Cs and file a complaint. Was it a 3rd party or a corp store?
  19. rangergrrl

rangergrrl Well-Known Member

The store was a regular Sprint store. Stanalone not in a mall or Bestbuy. I got home and called Sprint. After an hour and 10 min on the phone I finally have a SIM coming although they don't know when as they are backordered.
  20. amarie82

amarie82 Guides Guide

Well hopefully its soon. And an hour why so long that should of been an easy process
  21. jhawkkw

It really should be. All the international folk are probably laughing their ass off at how moronic these reps for AT&T and Sprint are at activating an unlocked phone. :rolleyes:
  22. amarie82

amarie82 Guides Guide

I wouldn't doubt it. Activating is not hard at all. Only time it can be is when you run into errors, provisioning delays or device issues.
  23. Rxpert83

My SIM should be here Thursday. I ordered it last night from the international support line. They knew exactly what I was talking about and placed the order right away. Previous support people in the stores here knew it needed a Sim, but didn't have any locally.

Opted for the free shipping otherwise it would've been here either today or tomorrow.
  24. amarie82

amarie82 Guides Guide

That's good to hear. I'm ordering my nexus this week and can't wait. How do you like it so far?
  25. jhawkkw

It took a while for me to get my data working even after transferring my T-Mobile SIM. I had standard GPRS for like 10 minutes before I got EDGE. Kind of weird, but now I'm back in an LTE zone. It's so nice not to have to hack it to make it work. :D
    Rxpert83 likes this.