1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

N64 Emulator?

Last Updated:

1. ruapirate

ruapirate New Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, this might already have been asked somewhere, but if it has, I can't find it. Or I'm terrible at finding stuff. I dunno. Anyway, my question is if from a hardware standpoint, (let's saying I'm using the motorola droid) is it possible to make a n64 emulator? If it is, why hasn't it been done before?

Advertisement
  2. maddnotez

maddnotez Member

I think there is an snes emulator

3. meijerbrantm

meijerbrantm Member

i'm going to go with no... project 64 is probably one of the best 64 emulators out there that i know of and it's min system requirements are listed here

Intel Pentium 3 700Mhz or AMD Athlon 800Mhz CPU*
    128MB system RAM

droid has 600Mhz dedicated processor? so unless we get some much stronger processors out for android phones, there is no use to it i'd say... plus, how are you going to do all the controls?

4. spanky23

spanky23 Member

Ok if no n64 what about a playstation emulator. I heard iphone and the pre can do it. What about my droid. I didn't find anything in the app market. Anyone know?

5. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

The Samsung Moment has an 800Mhz processor. I want to get my hands on a PS3 or N64 emulator. And yes, I know the Pre has a few PS3 games. Any idea when we might see something good on android?

6. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

PS3?
    No chance, you fool.

7. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Lol, i'm sure he meant 2*!

8. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

HAHA! Oops, yeah, I meant PS2 (almost mistyped it again). I think it's pretty obvious that my previous statement was an error G8D.
    Anyways, my phone, and future android phones will be capable of handling N64 and PS2, when might those emulators start coming along? Is there any way to get PJ64 to run on android?

9. Martysarus

Martysarus New Member

even ps2 sounds a little bit like a joke
    ps2 cpu = 299 MHz
    ps2 gpu = 147.456 MHz
    with all the other parts considered and the difficulty to emulate them all

you are going to want 2.00 Ghz at best for decent functionality.
    that being based on emulating it on a computer, im not sure if the android phone OS will be less resource hungry allowing more use of the cpu.

and you need to remember even on the big boys (PC, Mac) this emulation still isnt perfected (check out PCSX2).

the best bet atm will be playstation as in PSX the first one
    CPU = 33.8688 MHz
    ... not sure on the rest but i doubt a psx pushes anythng more then a total of 100-200 Mhz

and psx is tons easier to emulate then the horrible mess that happens inside a ps2. but i wont go into that.

im all up saying it is deffinatly possible to run a psx on a android phone, possibly N64 (if you check it out a PSP has trouble with this and it runs on 333Mhz, but android phones tend to have a bit more then that ;D)

just need someone with the know how. i would love to build an emulator but when programming is concerned im a bit n00b.

10. ROBIN50N

ROBIN50N Well-Known Member

imagine the controls for a n64 emu on a touch screen:eek:

11. Martysarus

Martysarus New Member

12. Windowlicker

Windowlicker Member

I think its best just to stick with the retro consoles, simply just for the control input.
    Even for PS1, how can you possibly map four face buttons, start, select, D-pad, L1, L2, R1, R2 and 2 analogue sticks with 1 click button each? I really don't see it working. Same goes for N64.
    How well do the Megadrive/Genesis and SNES emulators perform? I've seen a few videos but they always use a G1 with keyboard controls. How well would they work on a HTC Hero?
    I'm pretty new to Android and will be getting my Hero very soon, but thought I'd see if they are worth downloading. :)

13. Chatchie

Chatchie Member

Im using Nesoid, Genesoid and SNESoid, they all run perfect. The issue is control, a 2 button NES or even a 3 button Genesis game is easy to deal with but the SNES controls become more of a problem. Im using the keyboard on a Droid. I couldnt imagine all that on a touch screen.

All those emulators are in the market.