• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

N64 Emulator?

ruapirate

Lurker
Oct 31, 2009
Ok, this might already have been asked somewhere, but if it has, I can't find it. Or I'm terrible at finding stuff. I dunno. Anyway, my question is if from a hardware standpoint, (let's saying I'm using the motorola droid) is it possible to make a n64 emulator? If it is, why hasn't it been done before?

i'm going to go with no... project 64 is probably one of the best 64 emulators out there that i know of and it's min system requirements are listed here

Intel Pentium 3 700Mhz or AMD Athlon 800Mhz CPU*
128MB system RAM

droid has 600Mhz dedicated processor? so unless we get some much stronger processors out for android phones, there is no use to it i'd say... plus, how are you going to do all the controls?

Upvote 0
even ps2 sounds a little bit like a joke
ps2 cpu = 299 MHz
ps2 gpu = 147.456 MHz
with all the other parts considered and the difficulty to emulate them all

you are going to want 2.00 Ghz at best for decent functionality.
that being based on emulating it on a computer, im not sure if the android phone OS will be less resource hungry allowing more use of the cpu.

and you need to remember even on the big boys (PC, Mac) this emulation still isnt perfected (check out PCSX2).

the best bet atm will be playstation as in PSX the first one
CPU = 33.8688 MHz
... not sure on the rest but i doubt a psx pushes anythng more then a total of 100-200 Mhz

and psx is tons easier to emulate then the horrible mess that happens inside a ps2. but i wont go into that.

im all up saying it is deffinatly possible to run a psx on a android phone, possibly N64 (if you check it out a PSP has trouble with this and it runs on 333Mhz, but android phones tend to have a bit more then that ;D)

just need someone with the know how. i would love to build an emulator but when programming is concerned im a bit n00b.

Upvote 0
I think its best just to stick with the retro consoles, simply just for the control input.
Even for PS1, how can you possibly map four face buttons, start, select, D-pad, L1, L2, R1, R2 and 2 analogue sticks with 1 click button each? I really don't see it working. Same goes for N64.
How well do the Megadrive/Genesis and SNES emulators perform? I've seen a few videos but they always use a G1 with keyboard controls. How well would they work on a HTC Hero?
I'm pretty new to Android and will be getting my Hero very soon, but thought I'd see if they are worth downloading. :)

Upvote 0
Im using Nesoid, Genesoid and SNESoid, they all run perfect. The issue is control, a 2 button NES or even a 3 button Genesis game is easy to deal with but the SNES controls become more of a problem. Im using the keyboard on a Droid. I couldnt imagine all that on a touch screen.

All those emulators are in the market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones