Naand and roms?

Last Updated:

1. screennamie

screennamie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If I create a backup and flash a different rom will I still have to reinstall all my apps again on the new rom or will it the naand back up restore all them and my settings?

Also does it matter if either rom is sense or not.. just asking, gearing up for all the new roms supposedly coming out. :D

Advertisement
  2. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

Nand is pretty much everything. If you flash anything at all, then do a NAND restore, you're pretty much re-flashing your phone with the NAND backup.

The Nand contains a LOT of things. If you flash EvilEris, then do a nand restore from your 0_3, you will effectively be back exactly 100% on your 0_3. It won't even matter that you flashed EvilEris.

In essence, it's like, mostly, creating your own flash. A backup for your phone. You could smash it, get a new Eris, root it, pop in your SD card, and restore your backup.

3. screennamie

Sweetness, another reason to like root :)

Wait .. did you say EvilEris? I see xda has made a new rom, dl as I type.

Have you tried it? any good?

4. pkopalek

It's very good, and very fast.

I'm waiting for a newer version of it to come out, then I'm going to flash that.

Right this very second, I'm on my 0_3 nand backup that I have all set up the way I like it.

5. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

Yea there are lots of things that are messed up on the Evil rom So I just went back to my v3 back up. Its fast But lots of things are messed up in my opinion Evil was not release ready at all.

6. screennamie

good to know.. was going to install it after lunch here, but maybe I'll hold off till the second version.

7. tokyoglow

tokyoglow Active Member

wow i was about to do the same when i got home today, but it seems like waiting it out would be the best choice here

I cant wait for a nice stable custom rom to have motivation to flash to.

Once you're rooted, can you flash back and forth between ROMs?

8. pkopalek

Yes. But that gets annoying, assuming you are (properly) wiping data and cache between. Having to set up your google stuff every time and your syncs, and apps, and scenes, etc.

I flash between NAND backups. That's better, once you get a couple of ROMs you like, have NAND backups of them.

So I have a 0_3 i nand backup daily (or bart, if you prefer), and if I switch to another custom ROM (or a different nand backup), I can just boot to recovery, save it again, and then go to my old nand.

I have an 0_3 nand backup and an evileris nand backup. Using 0_3 right now until cleaner evileris comes out

9. magicelf

magicelf Well-Known Member

Can you do as many nand backups with different ROMs or will it keep deleting the previous backup?

Also, is anyone else having problems syncing Facebook contacts with Evil Eris? Not one of my contacts is linked to Facebook. Might wanna go back to 0.3 if it won't sync.

10. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

Nandroid-->deviceId-->backups separated by folders each folder is a back up. The name of the folder tells you when the back up was made.
    bds-20100323-2142
    That back up was made on march 3rd 2010 at 21:42.
    So basically you can make as many back ups as your sd card can hold.

11. magicelf

Cool. And what all does it backup? Will my home screens stay the same as well as apps and contacts?

12. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

Yea makes back up of everything. When you restore the back up. Your home screen will be the same along with the apps you had.

13. magicelf

Nice. Thanks. Glad I did the backup before I switched! And how do I restore it? Do I have to do a wipe first, or just click nand restore?

14. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

Boot to recover(vol up and power button)-->wipe-->wipe data/factory and wipe dalvik-cache..Then press vol down to get back to the main menu-->backup/restore -->nand restore and choose the back up you want to restore.

15. magicelf

What is dalvik-cache?

16. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

The dalvik-cache directory holds all of the pre-compiled .dex files created from the .apk and .jar files in your phone
    Its so apps and stuff run faster so it doesn't have to make a copy of the files every time something starts up.

17. magicelf

Sweet. Thanks for the info. Would it mess up the phone if I didn't wipe that?

18. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

So I came across one thread that showed NAND is on our phone, just have to get to it after reboot. WHich one should i do? Just NAND or the one that was NAND + something else, cant rem.