Naked droid, pocketing it?

Last Updated:

1. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many of you simply use your droid naked (with a screen protector on possibly) and just pocket the phone? I've been 'paranoid' about doing so ever since i got the phone after hearing stories of small scratches that can appear (even though i do have a screen protector on it) or dust accumulating under the screen, etc...

i use a sena case leather sleeve now but its kind of a nuasance to remove the phone everytime i want to use it instantly. for instance, if a call comes in while driving that i've been waiting for, there is no way i can drive + remove the phone from the leather sleeve + answer in time.

i really just want to use the sleeve when i want to and otherwise just use the phone naked and throw it in my pocket so i can easily have access to it when im on the run.
    should i be worried/concerned at all about just pocketing the droid naked (for the above reasons and others)? or am i being overly cautious by avoiding doing it at all costs?

just looking for the opinion of those using the droid for awhile naked and throwing it in their jacket or pants pocket.. maybe some reassurance or something? ;p thanks for any responses to this possibly dumb question.

~jen

Advertisement
  2. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

Naked + screen protector in my left pocket by itself, still looks great, bought it on 11/6/2009

3. buckyweet

buckyweet Active Member

I've never had a case or screen protector on my 2 month old Droid and just carry it around in my linty pocket. Besides dust in the ear piece and headphone jack, looks good as new.

4. vonfeldt7

vonfeldt7 Well-Known Member

I have a screen protector and otherwise it's "naked"... haven't had any problems.

*Edit* It fell out of my car (onto pavement, of course) the other day and only has a few light scratches on the bezel. I'm definitely impressed with the build quality.

5. tebower

tebower Well-Known Member

I bought an innocase and like it, but still prefer to use my phone without a cover. I have a screen protector on it, and clean my phone periodically with compressed air. Also, I wet a Q-tip, and clean out the earpiece opening carefully to remove any built up grit.

6. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

well so far it seems like i'd be fine just pocketing it naked.. as long as i can get the stuff outta the earpeice seems like its full proof...

but then i just saw this thread and this scares me!
    http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/50595-droid-finish-scratches-easily.html

anyone else have something similar to this happen? and is it easy to remove any lint or whatever from the earpeice (does it happen always?)

7. get quad

get quad Banned

same here, had the first drop last night on the kitchen floor - no problems, dings, or scratches.

8. aclos3

aclos3 Active Member

Just make sure you don't ever let it share the pocket with anything made of metal. The pictures in the thread linked a few posts up are of my droid. For the first couple days I would occasionally let the droid share my pocket with a set of keys and I think that is where the majority of the scratches came from.

9. VertigoCycles

VertigoCycles Member

phone from the future. how's the reception then?

10. GarnetHaze

GarnetHaze Member

I have had my Droid for a little over a month. I have a screen protector on it and have been pocketing it for the last couple of weeks. Haven't noticed any problems at all. Actually, I like it better that way since the inside of my pocket wipes off the fingerprints (sort of). However, I NEVER put anything else in that pocket.

11. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

Same here, naked droid... no problems.

12. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Mine's nekkid except for a Clear Protector on the screen. Had it since November 6th also. Looks new.

13. Negativism

Negativism Active Member

I use to go tbe pocket no cover route till the droid toook the brunt end of a table edge. Now I have 3 dents on the slider. Still in my pocket just with a cover 90% of the time.

14. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

It's great, but it hasn't received Android 2.1

15. chippy

chippy Well-Known Member

I carry mine around, no protection, and in my pocket. I don't have one visible scratch or blemish, not saying it couldn't happen though.....

16. refuzeandrezizt

refuzeandrezizt Well-Known Member

Naked here, with NO issues. Don't like the added bulk of cases, no matter how thin they make them. Plus, I had a couple cases on my old iPhone, and they did more harm then good. Scratched the crap out of the chrome bezel. WTH?!

17. Crazy_J

Crazy_J Well-Known Member

I use a body glove case, but its more because of my children then anything. When you have a six year old and an all most two year old, you learn to protect your electronics. However I don't use a screen protector...

18. zakany

zakany Member

I always just pocket my naked Droid. No worries.

19. superdorf

superdorf Well-Known Member

I'm naked... No screen protector. I do notice "stuff" in the ear piece, but the phone is holding up really well since 12/27/09.

20. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

totally naked

tried a screen protector but I have never, ever, ever, never seen one that does not leave bubbles.

Plus, I read some stuff that the screen is actually pretty tough to scratch. and watch this YouTube - Motorola Droid Scratch Test :)

21. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

my droid likes being in the buff [​IMG]

22. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

Do it, I carry mine (screen towards me) and no damage whatsoever, had it since early December.

23. Meticode

Meticode Member

For those who don't use screen protectors. I highly advise you do use one. If you get a scratch, the touchscreen will detect that scratch and your touchscreen will go funky eventually to where you're going to have to replace the phone.

I was in Verizon the other day to exchange my Droid for a new one because of a hardware problem (phone had problems reading information off the the SDcard even when I replaced it with a new SDcard...I would put the same SDcard in my friend's Droid and his would would read it fine). Bought the 3-pack of screen protectors at Verizon, worked on putting it on the screen for 5 minutes without any air-bubbles and it looks perfect. You can't even tell it has a screen protector on it.

24. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Boxwave screen protector (no bubbles!), no case, in my back pocket with the screen facing in. No problems.
    Take a small piece of tape and fold/crease it (2 sticky sides out) and wipe the inside of the earpiece out...gets it sparkly clean in no time. It's actually pretty amazing how dirty the tape gets too :eek:

25. square

square Well-Known Member