Nand backup question

Last Updated:

1. BSH

BSH Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I followed the directions for rooting, and made the backup as instructed. I have not flashed a new ROM yet, still running root on stock 2.1. If (when) I flash a new ROM, running a nandroid restore with the idea of getting all my settings back would not be a good idea. Right? This will help me only if I go back to the factory OS, right?

I just don't want to deal with having to set up all my apps, settings, UI preferences, etc. But if I switch ROMs, there no way around it, right?

I've read other threads on backups, and don't have a good feel for this question based on my reading. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
  2. royalewihcheese

royalewihcheese Member

Nandroid restore will return you to the point at which you made the backup. Here's the play by play:

-You make a nandroid backup while on your stock ROM. You have call history, texts, apps, settings, that kind of thing, set up on your phone.
    -You wipe, flash and set up a new ROM. It is clean, no texts, no history, default settings, nothing. All your stuff on the SD card, pictures and music and such, is unaffected by any of this.
    -You then decide you don't like the new ROM, and restore from nandroid backup. Everything is restored, bit for bit, on your phone like the day you made the backup. Texts, history, original ROM, settings, apps, everything.

3. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

titanium backup. spend a few bucks for the pro. it can be quirky to navigate around in, but it backs up and restores everything that you'll need. apps + appdata + settings etc. even backups up my launcherpro layout/settings and beautiful widget settings.

4. BSH

BSH Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks to both of you for clarification, I'm pretty clear now.