NAND backup/restore question

Last Updated:

1. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I just flashed the Alysious (mispelled i know) rom and i'm always reading everyone saying to do a NAND backup, but what i'm wondering is when you try to restore your backup, does it only restore it from the rom that you backed it up on? So when i flash a new rom and it has to do a full wipe, you have to redownload all of the apps and stuff right? Unless you have apps2sd i'm guessing.

Any help or a quick explanation would really help.lol Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

when you do a NAND Back-up it will back up everything.. apps, everything, it will even keep txt msgs that you have the point of backing up the ROM, so when you go to restore it everything is the way you left it from the back-up point. so no you dont have to have apps2sd. So that is why you do a NAND for everything, I personally on my computer have every ROM downloaded, and I have a NAND of just about every ROM from certain points, every one is different, do what you feel you need. I like to back up eveything. hope this helps.

3. darkside

Well when I try to backup on my current Rom it backs up senseable and all the settings for that Rom which is the Rom I did the backup from.

So I can't figure out how to get all my stuff back?

4. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I'm confused by your question. You do a NAND back-up... to get that back-up, wipe data/ wipe dalvik, then do a NAND-restore. and boom its back.

5. darkside

Ok figured it out. Sorry for the weird question.

But what was happening was when I would restore it it would automatically flash back to the senseable rom and all my settings on that. Instead of keeping the alysious Rom.

I tried again and everything is working like I want it to. Thanks for the replies.

6. darkside

Sorry for the double post but i didn't thinking starting a new thread would be appropriate.

I was wondering how to push certain things on to my phone. I've just started to read up on xda about people pushing different dialers and stuff on their phone. can anyone explain that or post a link doing so?

7. eghill1125

eghill1125 Well-Known Member

I guess I should put this in here. I must be an idiot at this, but it is my first time doing all of this. I have Evil Eris on my phone now. I partially set it up.. enough to go back to anyways. I want to try some of the other ones out there too, but I am missing something. I go to Nand backup and it backs up completely, but I do not see how I can have each one backed up? When I hit restore, I only have the original one I had before I put on EE. It was what was there before I rooted. No EE 3.01 listed anywhere??? Any help?

Nevermind... I think I finally figured it out.

8. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

I've been searching, I understand what Nand backup is (full backup/ apps with all data at time of the backup)

but what is the Nand + ext exactly do?

9. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I *believe* that it adds the backup of your ext partition (in a tar file) that you are using for apps storage if you are using apps2sd. What is different from a BART backup I am not sure, but that is what I believe it does - (so, it allows you to Nand restore apps to the ext SD partition if you have apps stored there.)

10. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Can you have multiple nand backups on the sd card, or do you have to move it off the card to do another nand backup?

11. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

You can have multiple backups. I rename them, to describe what they are. They usually look something like BDS-20100720-1342 (UTC date and time stamp, it seems). I rename them to something like "kaos.froyo.v23-20100718-latest". Just make sure that you do not put spaces in the name and you should be all set.

LED likes this.
  12. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Ok, cool... when restoring, does it list all visible backups to choose from?

13. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

The backups are stored in a folder with your device ID, which is inside a folder called nandroid, on your SD card, as a "by the way".

Yes, it will list all of the nandroid backups that it can see when you go to restore. You move down with the trackball and press the trackball to choose the one which you want to restore. Just remember to do a Dalvik wipe and a factory/data reset wipe from the wipe menu before you restore an image.

14. LED

LED Well-Known Member

^ Cool, thanks for that info.