nand backup

Last Updated:

1. Lagos

Lagos Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just rooted my phone last night. Before flashing my first custom rom I did a nand backup and I have some questions as to what exactly this backs up?

Im assuming that this created a backup of my factory rom, correct? So if at any point in time I wish to go back to the stock rom, I just need to restore the nand backup and I will be all set?

Also when flashing from one custom rom the next, I don't have to do new nand backups because I still have my original rom backup that I can always go back to, right? I just need to wipe and load the new rom.

Advertisement
  2. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

If you took a nand backup of your phone before changing ROMs, then yes you can go back to that. There will be a file on your SD Card. You should probably change the name of those files so you know what the back up is.

Do you have to take a nand backup? No, but it's always a good idea in case something goes wrong with flashing the new ROM. That way you can always go back if need be.

In my Nandroid folder, I think I have backups of 3 different ROMs.

3. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

If you tried and rom and didn't like it, don't do a nand backup. If you tried a rom, like it, but still want to try another - do nand backup of the one you like. That way if you don't like the 'new' one it easy to restore to the one you liked previously. Like BS (sorry :) ) above, I keep multiple nand backups around of my favorite roms so that I can easily go back to them.

4. Lagos

Lagos Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Oh I see! So it does an actual state backup so that my rom will be backed up along with all the user settings and apps that I installed....right?

5. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Correct. You're backing up ALL data on the phone at it's current state - not just the ROM. When you restore the phone looks just like it did at the time of backup.

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Yes, that's the beauty of nand backup and restore.

Be careful in renaming the backup file, though; stick with the same format.. but if you do mess it up and get error messages when trying to restore it, you can go back and re-re-name it to its original terminology (that happened to me in my early days of rooting ;)) and it will work fine.

These days I just write down the stock name of the file and make notes about what it is.