• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root nandroid and "Scenes"

mozetti

Apr 28, 2010
So I delved into the world of ROMs to try out the koush Cyanogen6-test8 a few days ago. I was diligent and did a full Titanium backup and a nandroid backup. After a couple of days I realized that I'm a fan of Vanilla Android, but I also need something polished. Nothing against Cyanogen, but I will wait until it's finished.

Anyhow, I restored my nandroid backup and when the phone rebooted there were no icons or widgets on my screens. So, I did a full restore using my Titanium backup. Still no icons or widgets. I went through the process of setting up my screens/scene again and at some point I noticed that my old scene (icon/widget placement) came back.

Now, today I was having some trouble with Wifi Tether, so I booted into recovery and wiped everything (cache and the other one -- full system wipe, I think it's called). I did another nandroid restore and the same result -- no icons or widgets on my screens.

My understanding of the nandroid backup was that you'd basically get everything restored like it was when you did the backup. I don't really mind that I have to set up the screens again. It's a small price to pay for root and customizing the phone. But, I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong or that there was something wrong with my setup.

I know this place is filled with people that know a lot more than I ever will, so can anyone weigh in on this? Is this how it was supposed to work, or is there something wonky going on?

Thanks.

So I delved into the world of ROMs to try out the koush Cyanogen6-test8 a few days ago. I was diligent and did a full Titanium backup and a nandroid backup. After a couple of days I realized that I'm a fan of Vanilla Android, but I also need something polished. Nothing against Cyanogen, but I will wait until it's finished.

Anyhow, I restored my nandroid backup and when the phone rebooted there were no icons or widgets on my screens. So, I did a full restore using my Titanium backup. Still no icons or widgets. I went through the process of setting up my screens/scene again and at some point I noticed that my old scene (icon/widget placement) came back.

Now, today I was having some trouble with Wifi Tether, so I booted into recovery and wiped everything (cache and the other one -- full system wipe, I think it's called). I did another nandroid restore and the same result -- no icons or widgets on my screens.

My understanding of the nandroid backup was that you'd basically get everything restored like it was when you did the backup. I don't really mind that I have to set up the screens again. It's a small price to pay for root and customizing the phone. But, I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong or that there was something wrong with my setup.

I know this place is filled with people that know a lot more than I ever will, so can anyone weigh in on this? Is this how it was supposed to work, or is there something wonky going on?

Thanks.

i'm not sure what you are doing wrong but when i do a nandroid restore my phone is restored in every way, snapshot of what my phone was when backed up. that is how the backup process works...it is possible you got a faulty backup...i would set everything up again the way you like, delete your current nand backup and back up again...i know i once had a bad backup and couldnt restore whatsoever

Upvote 0
i'm not sure what you are doing wrong but when i do a nandroid restore my phone is restored in every way, snapshot of what my phone was when backed up. that is how the backup process works...it is possible you got a faulty backup...i would set everything up again the way you like, delete your current nand backup and back up again...i know i once had a bad backup and couldnt restore whatsoever

+1 Nandroid restore should be a picture perfect image of your set-up when you backed up. Set it all up again and create a new Nandroid backup. If it does it again then we know theres a persistent problem and we can go from there.

Upvote 0
Make sure you've SAVED YOUR CUSTOM SCENE before doing a backup!

I lost all the changes to my scene that I made in a while when I applied the 2.2 leak + Titanium, so I'd have to assume that nandroid will do the same thing; it won't back up an unsaved scene.

On a completely opposite note, I've never had trouble with nandroid not restoring my scene, saved or not, but it might make a difference for you. =/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones