• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nandroid Backup Problem

Android noob

Mar 28, 2010
Forgive me if this has been answered already, I didn't really know how to search for this... But today I tried to do a Nandroid Backup and when I did it said "error: Run 'nandroid-mobile.sh' via adb!" But I've previously been able to just click Nandroid Backup and it will backup my phone.. what did I do haha

Forgive me if this has been answered already, I didn't really know how to search for this... But today I tried to do a Nandroid Backup and when I did it said "error: Run 'nandroid-mobile.sh' via adb!" But I've previously been able to just click Nandroid Backup and it will backup my phone.. what did I do haha

I had this problem too. A regular Nandroid backup would work fine, but a Nand + ext backup would give me the same error as you. I saw a bunch of other posts that said you can get this error by renaming your nandroid backup files (filenames cannot include spaces, apparently). That wasn't my problem, since I hadn't renamed anything. Others said that reformatting the SD card worked, but I didn't want to do that. I finally fixed it by deleting some previous backups. Use Astro (or any file manager) and go to /sdcard/nandroid/ to find your backups. I don't know how many you can have, or the space limitations, etc., but I guess I had too many ;)

Try those options and see if that works for you. :D

Upvote 0
This usually just means your battery is low.

I thought that too with mine, but it still didn't work when it was at 85% and it didn't work when plugged in... the only thing that worked was deleting some previous nandroid backups. Do you know why? Is there a space limitation for the backups? It looks like they are just stored on the SD card, which has plenty of space available... :thinking:

Upvote 0
Could you tell me how to do that? Or link me to a tutorial? I'm new to this lol.

This is when using the Amon-Ra recovery and I believe that it's the same as setting up an Apps2SD setup. Make sure you backup your card as it will erase everything on it. It's easy but I accept no responsibility if you somehow kill your phone or lose data. :D

Boot into recovery
Go to Partition sdcard and then select Partition SD
Set Swap to 0MB and the EXT2 partition to 512MB or 1024MB
Go back to the Partition sdcard menu and select SD:ext2 to ext3
After it's finished try to do the NAND + ext backup

Upvote 0

I think its poltergeists! :eek:

I've had this error before with Nandroid backups and my battery was not low (I never do anything "scary" ;) (recovery mode, flashing, etc.) unless my battery is fully charged).

When it did happen, I just re-ran the backup immediately afterwards and it worked just fine (nothing done in between and seemingly no reason for it).

I also checked the Nandroid backup that the first (failed) one made and it was missing the nandroid.md5 file, so I would guess that it had a problem in creating or calculating the MD5 sum (that's what I assume he would put into a nandroid.md5 file :D)).

Upvote 0
After you run your Nand backup and then wip your cache and the wipe device, and then flash your rom, will performing a Nand restore put the apps and such back to your phone without switching roms automatically? I had Evil Eris v3 and I know i did a backup and when i restored it put my phone back to how it was before i rooted?

Upvote 0
Try following the instructions here.

(Basically, it tells you to create a directory in the /system directory called sd - so its full path is /system/sd).

By the way, you can do it using adb commands as listed in that post, but if you have RootExplorer installed on your ROM you can also use that app. Go into the /system folder, touch the button at the top to make the folder read/write, then menu->new folder and call it "sd" (without the quotes, of course.) Restart your phone in recovery and then see if it will do a nand+ext backup.

Reactions: AdrianC14
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones