Nandroid Boot

Last Updated:

1. stvcsk

stvcsk Member This Topic's Starter

I have successfully rooted my Hero (confirmed by su method in Terminal Emulator) and have flashed the recovery image (I assume it's right, it just echoed what I had typed). I tried "reboot recovery" and all that did was reset the device, with a quick flash on the HTC screen, then it died. Same happened when I tried this as su from the terminal on the device. I had to pull the battery to restart it, and this was replicated several times.

No other method to get into recovery worked either.

What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Advertisement
  2. satinkzo

satinkzo Well-Known Member

have you tried just holding the Home button when powering on?

3. stvcsk

[edit] OK... just tried holding "vol down" and powering on, came to a white screen. Said to press home for recovery... pressed home, and now it hangs on the HTC spash.

Anyone?

4. poopsie

poopsie Member

Sounds like you are not rooted. Power off the phone, hold the power and home buttons down at the same time until you get the boot screen, that is how you will know you are rooted properly.

5. stvcsk

Should I try to root again? I'm 99.9% sure I already am rooted b/c from a terminal on the device I can su and get to the #, and I can su from the cmd on windows.

This is truly frustrating me.

Steve

6. dsmithjr

dsmithjr Member

Once you're rooted, you're rooted. You should try to reflash the recovery image.

7. poopsie

poopsie Member

I have asked and another person a couple up also asked - Did you or did you not turn off the phone, then hold the power button and home buttons at the same time?? If you did, what happened, if you didn't how come you didn't? He asked you to try it and you responded that you tried the vol. buttons. Turn off the phone, hold the power and home buttons down until you get pass the HTC screen and get into the boot screen.

8. stvcsk

Sorry, I did post that I tried it, but I edited my post with what I thought (at the time) was more pertinent information.

I just did it again, and it ended up resetting my phone.

What did I miss the first time around?

Steve

9. Kevii

Kevii Member

I dont think you pushed the recovery flash file into it yet.
    Did you do

adb push recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img /sdcard/
    then when you are at the $ sign
    $ su
    # cd /sdcard/
    # flash_image recovery recover-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img
    # reboot recovery

Try that then

Then you could try holding down hold & power while your phone is off to see if that works..

10. dsmithjr

dsmithjr Member

I would say your best bet is just to redownload the recovery image, put it into whatever folder you're using, adb into phone, and reflash the image. The reboot recovery command should boot the phone into recovery mode.

11. stvcsk

Just re-rooted... here is exactly what I typed into the terminal (the recovery img was already on the sd card) and the response

Code (Text):
    1. C:\root\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
    2. $ chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
    3. chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
    4. $ /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
    5. /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
    6.  [+] Using newer pipe_inode_info layout
    7. Opening: /proc/1078/fd/3
    8. SUCCESS: Enjoy the shell.
    9. # mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    10. mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    11. # cd /system/bin
    12. cd /system/bin
    13. # cat sh>su
    14. cat sh>su
    15. # chmod 4755 su
    16. chmod 4755 su
    17. # flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img
    18. flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img
    19. # rebbot recovery
    20. rebbot recovery
    21. rebbot: not found
    22. # reboot recovery
    23. reboot recovery
    25. C:\root\android-sdk-windows\tools>
    Once I hit enter, the phone reset, very quickly flashed the HTC splash screen, then shut down and wouldn't restart. I had to pull the battery again. Hitting home + power brought up the same screen as last time, but I figured out what SEND was and didn't reset the phone.

Ideas?

12. pking

pking Well-Known Member

The recovery bootloader should spawn when you hold Volume-down + Power, Home + Power is a different monster.

You should get a boot screen showing the little android guy on a skateboard, with an option to hit 'Home' for recovery mode. This is how I've been entering that image, and it's always worked flawlessly. It appears you've done everything properly as far as I can tell.

You may want to re-download and re-flash the recovery image as well - if you happened to get a partial image or the downloaded file was corrupted, the phone isn't going to complain. It'll happily flash whatever data you throw at it, regardless of whether it's actually valid.

13. dsmithjr

dsmithjr Member

Yeah, I would just delete the image off your sd, redownload, do another push, and flash again. You might just have a corrupt image. You don't have to do the root process again. Just adb into the phone and flash the image.

14. stvcsk

Right... I got to that screen (just got there again), and once I hit home, it goes to the HTC splash for a second, then shuts off... again, battery pull is the only remedy.

[edit] I've also re-downloaded and re-pushed and re-flashed the thing a million times.

[edit 2] Just tried the vol-down + power on again, got to the screen, hit home, and now it's just stuck on the HTC splash

15. stvcsk

WOOOOOOOOOOO.... FINALLY got it to work... literally it took a million tries, and I realized that after trying to delete and start w/a new fresh dl, I had not downloaded the CDMA version. After I re-downloaded it for the millionth time, I re-flashed it, and BOOM, reboot recovery worked.

Thanks for everyone's help!

16. pking

pking Well-Known Member

Heh, yeah that GSM vs CDMA part is pretty important - it's the only reason I don't have one of cyanogen's roms loaded already :)

17. stvcsk

Well I had the correct one earlier, it was just corrupted somehow. When I heard the advice to try to re-install it, I went to a different link and didn't realize the difference. Once I did, it was easy sailing.

Steve

18. aaron130

aaron130 Active Member

Steve, could u be so kind to post the Link where u got the img cuz I am having THE EXACT problem u had, and Ive already tried a few different imgs. This is driving me NUTS. And I KNOW I'm rooted cuz I'm using the screenshot app which you can't use unless your rooted. Thanks for ANY help in advance.

19. stvcsk

I downloaded this file from the How to root the CDMA Hero thread. I would follow everyone's advice and delete the image file you have off of your sdcard, then re-push/copy and re-image it using your new image file.

I can't find the checksum value for that file, but I believe it is a 3.16 MB file, whereas the first file I used was a 3.14 MB file. Somehow, when I was downloading everything, my image file got corrupted, and as was pointed out above, the phone will flash whatever you point it at.

Steve

20. srinatar

srinatar New Member

Hi
    where do I find this command "flash_image" ?

currently , when i run flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.6.2.img

i get flash_image command not found.

i guess, i missed some thing. any advice ?

21. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

On your rooted Sprint HTC Hero you can install an app called Terminal Emulator. When you run it you can type "su" and then get a pound sign (#) after you hit enter. Then type "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.6.2.img" without the quotes and then hit enter. You must make sure that the file "recovery-RA-heroc-v1.6.2.img" is in the root directory of your microSD card.

After that you can type "reboot recovery" without the quotes and hit enter. All of these steps should flash the recovery image and reboot your handset into recovery mode for you.