Nandroid restores

Last Updated:

1. WilCIWS

WilCIWS Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have a question about restoring nandroid backups. I have quite a few ROMs saved as backups, for switching if I want to try something else. I have White Widow 4.4 installed right now, and am apparently stuck with it since when trying to roll back to Aloysius or anything else. When I go to restore a back up, after wiping dalvik/data, I get this error.

Error : run 'nandroid-mobile.shrestore' via adb!

What the heck are they talking about? I hope this isn't something simple and stupid, but I am out to sea right now with no access to my computer. Please assist! Thanks guys! Also, WW4.4 rules.

Advertisement
  2. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

there is two issues that I have come across when getting this error message.
    1) is simple, not enough juice in the battery so it won't let you complete the restore.
    2) when renaming the file you put in a character that is not allowed such as " " a space.
    rename to something like "White_Widow_4.4"
    I guess it can be too long as well so try to keep it small.

WilCIWS likes this.
  3. WilCIWS

Thanks for your help! I removed the spaces, and put the _ like you said and it's working... i think. Loading my backup of Aloysius right now. I'm thinking that was the issue because it would load 'EvilEris3' but not 'Aloysius 2.0 v12' or 'xtrrom 2.1 all the extras'. :p Anyhows, thanks again for your help and I will remember that in the future. Cheers!

Edit- Aloysius is up and running again so good to go! Now I can go back to not knowing what rom I want to use again! :D

4. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

How do you rename a nandroid backup file?

5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

You can use Astro File Manager or whatever tool works (i.e., you can also do this from your PC if your /sdcard is mounted as a drive). Just be careful about your naming standards for the backup per these two posts (and the threads they are in):

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/77472-nandroid-backup.html#post759379

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/101312-rooted-now-what.html#post942036

Pulled both of the above posts from here:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/116574-root-best-practices.html

Cheers!

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I've had bad luck renaming those back up files.

I just keep a written list of them now with notes as to what and when, etc.

The date and time of its creation is, of course, what the original name of the file comprises.

7. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Thanks much!! :D

8. WilCIWS

+1 I use Astro. Just don't put spaces cuz that's what messed my stuff up. Good luck!

9. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

Fyi, you might need to clear your Gmail Storage data after restoring from Nandroid. I have to do it almost every time, otherwise I can't send mail.